Thursday, February 17, 2005

The great adventure begins……

Well, I have decided to go camping tonight. I am going to hike the 5 miles out spring road into the country and set up a camp site. I have all my gear packed up and ready to go and lots of good camp food. I even made a homemade bag of GORP (Good old raisins and peanuts). I have my own eclectic blend and add peanut M&Ms, sunflower seeds, and shaved coconut slices. For supper I have enough provisions for two hoboes (beef patties covered with onions, carrots, and potatoes with a sauce). I am also packing some eggs and bacon for breakfast.

I called my father this evening to let him know I will be gone until tomorrow afternoon.

“You are going to freeze your nuts off tonight.” He said.

“Tonight will be a warm night compared to some I experienced out in the woods last year.” I replied.

“Well, have a good time and watch out for bears.” He said.

We both laughed as there aren’t any bears where I live. The most dangerous animals are your rabid raccoons and food marauding armadillos.

I really look forward to tonight. I need a break and need to get out into the wild woods that beckon for me. I can’t wait to get a big fire started and to sit around the campfire and listen to my radio. I have packed plenty of warm clothes so should be comfortable despite it getting down to 28 degrees tonight. I have also packed all my fishing gear and plan to try my luck in the morning once the day has warmed up sufficiently.

Tonight, if you stop by, just picture me sitting around my campfire with my headphones on and my tobacco pipe in hand. The flickering fire will be casting beautiful yet ominous shadows. The hoot owls and the crickets will serenade me. Good night and may your weekend be as blessed as mine hopefully will be. Nature here I come.

No comments: