Sunday, February 24, 2008

A Moment in Time

Maggie sat next to me grooming as we firmly planted ourselves on my couch.  "It's gonna be okay, girl," I kept telling her over and over mainly for myself.   It was reassuring and calming to hear my own voice and to also know I was in charge of another soul -- a soul intrinsically intertwined with mine.  That was sobering to think of. 

I had just gotten off the phone with Rosa.  She was staying home tonight and I can't say I wasn't kind of relieved.  It meant my night would be spent reading the big book of digital command control for my future model railroad.  A subject only I would hold dear. Decoders.  Track wiring.  Schematics were in my future.   Orgasmic subjects for a dyed-in-the-wool model railroader. 

I then looked over at Maggie one last time.  She was now asleep.  Oh, to have the simplicity of life and living a dog's existence could afford.  I then realized I was going to live the next few days with the question "What would Maggie do?"  Tired?  Rest. Feeling mentally wonky?  Take a pill.  Dirty? Take a bath. It is going to be a dog's life here for the next few days.  Life boiled down to it's simplest essence.  "What would Maggie do?"  She certainly wouldn't be writing this or worrying over nothing.  I am off to take a long nap and then get up and eat leftover cold pizza.  It's a dog's life in J-ville these days.

5 comments:

Kelly Jene said...

I envy my cats sometimes. Life is so good for them. Enjoy your time with the railroads! Take care.

Jbeeky said...

Very Wise.

Barb said...

I am back from vacation, and like an addiction I am here to read what I have missed for 10 days. Thanks for whatever it is, that is my addiction.

B~

mosiacmind said...

One can learn much from our pets. I think we can often turn a hard day into a better day by doing what our pets do...sleep and eat and relax and some play

Tee said...

"What would Maggie do?" I love it! Sounds like a real winner to me, eat, sleep and guard the yard.