Saturday, February 02, 2008

Is the Grass Really Greener?

I've been thinking this morning about the grass always being greener on the other side, or is it?   I know I feel this urge to work, but I am very lucky.  I have most things that some in third world countries would die for.  A home.  Plenty of food.  Warmth.  I also have the freedom since I don't work to go to two AA meetings a day.  That is going to be my goal:  to get really active in AA.  To make it a lifestyle.  A new sober life.  To be of service to others.  I am still going to keep trying for vocational rehabilitation, and I am going to listen to my father for a change.  I think by being active in AA I will make new friendships, a paramount goal of mine.  Healthy friendships.  Friendships to last a lifetime. 

8 comments:

Ryan said...

I'm going to sound really ignorant, but what *exactly* is vocational rehabilitation?

Andrew said...

Ryan,

It is a government program where they condition and train you to work again. They also help place you in a job afterwards.

Sharyna said...

Sounds like a plan! Listen to your dad...

sharyna

Debbie said...

maybe in time you could be some sort of counselor?

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

ah bless. that sounds really inspiring.
you know, they really do last a lifetime. especially the people you are able to help get sober. some of the people i feel closest to in the whole world are people i have helped get sober. they REALLY understand me because they know EXACTLY how i view the world and how i deal with the problems i face, because i taught them what others taught me. we have a uniquely shared vision of how to deal with life. it is a great comfort to be understood and appreciated so well by others. i feel i have a community of people with shared values and world views when I am with them. they are my 'team' so to speak. they understand my alcoholic head better than most. that identification is SO satisfying!!!
so what i mean is, you get so much more back in the long haul. but it wasn't easy teaching them how to do permanent sobriety! but it was worth it. besides, it was given to me for FREE, so its the least i can do to pass it on freely to someone else..

Tee said...

Listening to your Dad is certainly wisdom on your part. Remember, the grass might look greener on the other side, but it still has to be mowed. The plan to get more involved in AA sounds like a great one. Look at you, sober 74 days! That is probably why you are doing so much better.

justLacey said...

I think that sounds like a great idea. I look forward to watching you make more and more progress and reading about it.

Cheryl said...

My client's husband has been in AA for years and years. He has a large circle of friends because of it. I'd love that for you.