Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Teetering on the Edge...

I just took Ferret some sandwiches.  I had noticed this morning that he looked like he has lost a lot of weight.  I parked at the railroad museum and made my way back to his campsite which is just beyond the railyard. 

"Lunch," I said loudly as I walked up to his tent so as not to startle him.  Big S said he was back down here and he was.  I could hear him stirring in his tent. He had gotten drunk enough where he wanted to sleep it off.  

Ferret poked his head out of his tent.  And then proceeded to teeter on his knees as he urinated out his tent at the threshold of it's door.  I couldn't help but laugh.  He was pretty drunk.

"You hungry, man?" I asked.

"What did you bring?" Ferret asked, slurring his words something terribly.

"Ham and cheddar sandwiches with potato chips and apple pastries," I told him.

"Thank you," he said as he took the plastic bag filled with food from my hand.

I didn't stay long.  I got back in my car and drove home.  When I was homeless, I would have loved for someone to visit my campsite with food.  Cooking was always an ordeal living in the woods.  I've always said my savior would be bearing a sack of cheeseburgers, packs of Marlboros, and a case of beer. 

4 comments:

PipeTobacco said...

Sir:

You have not mentioned George in a very long time. Did you ever visit him when he was sick? Has he recovered?

It seems odd that you do not mention him at all.

PipeTobacco

Upsy-Downsy said...

What a good friend you are! Your heart is as big as all outdoors...full of compassion and empathy for others.

And I read awhile back on one of your older posts about one of the gals in your life....how you just wanted to take care of her and all her needs and make her happy. That is a wonderful quality in a guy....and envious by any gal who who doesn't have that in her man.

You are such a special young man, Andrew, as I am learning more about you all the time, through your posts.

Be proud of yourself, your values, and your wonderful caring heart. THOSE are what are truly the important things in a person.

Sharyna said...

Good for you! It's nice to feed the homeless. I used to do that kind of thing when I lived in SF. Soon, you can bring him McD. burgers.

sharyna

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

ah bless
thats lovely of you