Friday, February 01, 2008

Patience Grasshopper!

Dad said no to my "step-up" financial plan for this month.  He did agree to start in April, though.  I will just be patient and wait.  He was good to me tonight and didn't get upset.

"Your brother and sister both got to be doctors by listening to me," he told me. "You would be wise to listen to me, too."

"I know," I replied. "I can just be so impetuous sometimes."

"Your mother says you are looking for jobs, as well."

"I get tired of never having any money.  It feels degrading."

"Go to vocational rehabilitation and I will support you working through them.  Listen to me and you will be okay," Dad told me as he got up to leave.

We joked some about how good a wife Maggie has been as he rubbed her back.  Rosa was in my bedroom watching TV during this.  She sheepishly came out to see what happened.  My father makes her nervous. 

"No go," I told her. "You will have to put up with a poor boyfriend for two more months."

Rosa is a sweetheart for putting up with that.  I will be dependant upon her for spending cash for awhile.  I will pay her back, though.  

10 comments:

Eric Valentine said...

Where there is a will, there is always a way. You will survive this period and be more the happier for it.. :) Good luck. :)

derekd said...

"where's there's a will"
There's vultures.

Brad said...

Hello Andrew,

You & your blog led me to so many friends i want to thank you. You led me to Summer and from her to Fiwa and Cheryl, and so many others. I can't really exactly remember how I found you first but I guess that's just the wonderfull randomness of the internet.

I'm glad your back with Rosa - Hope you feel well- stranger/friend.

Brad

anonymous said...

Change your representative payee to Rosa and move in with her. Tell your dad to take a hike. It's your life Andrew. Or at least threaten to do so and see how quickly the old gay boy crumbles.

You can't keep living like a pauper. Remember it is your money not his. If the Social Security Administration asks or balks at changing your payee make sure you tell them you literally don't have a dollar to your name.

Anonymous Boxer said...

hang in there - April will be here in no time.

Sharyna said...

Anonymous is wrong. I'm sure Dad can prove every dollar of yours goes for you (plus some). At least he supports Vocational Rehab...

sharyna

justLacey said...

I think it's a fair deal and Luckily February is a short month. I am happy that he is supporting the vocational rehab, that is a good sign. Did you ask him about online classes at college?

Cheryl said...

I'm sorry it didn't turn out like you hoped. But it was a start. You have to be at peace with your decision, despite the advice you'll get. Remember, this is a journey.

Enjoy your day. Will it be warm in your part of the world?

CJM-R said...

I agree with Cheryl. It is a start and a good one at that. He supports Vocational Rehab and that is one of your main goals.

It was great you were able to put all the cards on the table, and your dad did not get upset.

Good for you, Andrew. It will all unfold for you.
Lena

Tee said...

Oh Andrew, this was a good dialog with your Dad. Good steps forward! Your Dad has wisdom, so you might want to listen to him. At least he told you if you will wait until April. April will be here before you know it, and you have a time certain goal that you are working towards. Really good news that your Dad supports you going through the voc. rehab. He could have closed the door on all of your requests, but he didn't, so there is hope. There's light at the end of the tunnel and I don't think it's a train. :-)