Sunday, February 03, 2008

Looking Back...

I would have never thought four years ago I would be where I am now.  I remember those cold homeless mornings so vividly.  I would crawl out of my tent to a frost covered world as I got a fire started.  Freezing cold, I would stamp my feet on the ground to warm them.  I would immediately crack open a beer as I ate my usual gruel breakfast of grits or instant oatmeal.  Lunch time would find me drunk as a warming sun would rise high in the sky.  I remember that warmth vividly.  A nap would follow in my tent and more drinking would earnestly start in the afternoon.  Nightfall would find me three sheets to the wind. 

I discovered homeless blogs then.  I would sneak over to my deceased grandmother's house every night to use the computer.  The house would be cold and I found a little space heater to warm my feet.  I discovered The Homeless Guy and hung on his every word.  I wanted to move to Nashville and live in the shelters there, but I drank so much I couldn't sober up enough to go.   All my money went to beer. 

One night I called my mother...

"Mom, I'm cold," I replied.

"Where are you?  You just disappeared!" she replied.

"I am over at Memaw's house.  I'm homeless."

She drove over to turn on the heat and help me make a bed to sleep in. 

"I don't care what your father says," she told me. "But I'm not letting you be homeless."

I remember writing on my blog how excited I was.  I was so cold and forlorn.  I thought my life was at an end.  Fate had other plans for me.  I had a home, and now the hard work was upon me to get sober and straighten out my life.  What a journey it has been!

7 comments:

Mel said...

Every good thing in your life right now has one common denominator. Staying sober! Keep up the good work!

Mel

C.A. said...

I'm so proud of you, Andrew!

Ryan said...

So are you living in what would be your deceased grandmother's house now? o_O

Sharyna said...

I just got thru reading some of your blog from 2000-04. Interesting past...

sharyna

Tee said...

You are so blessed to have parents that love and care for you, making certain you have a place to live, something to drive, food to eat and an awesome doggie!!!!! You being sober contributes greatly to you being in such a good place at the time. Keep up the good work. 75 days!

Barb said...

Dearest Andrew,

Going back to some recent Blog dates to get up to date with what is happening in your world. I celebrate this time of wellness and happiness with you. I can see in your journaling your increased mood, and elevated affect. Stay on task, and April will come, your freedom will as well, and you can do the things that you and Rosa dream of doing.

I am proud to call you friend.
B~

mosiacmind said...

i am so glad that things are going so well for you right now. it is great when one can take a look back and see what life was like then and now. i hope that you can be proud of yourself and for all of the hard work that you are doing. good job keep it up