Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Laughter in Recovery

Rosa called a moment ago.  It was so good to hear her voice.  I've been kind of paranoid that we were growing tired of each other, but things have been well lately.  We suit each other like a fine cheese and expensive wine.  We both have storied pasts and tales of woe, and yet we are both consistently upbeat and positive.  I need that in my life.  I need her. 

"Narcotics Anonymous tonight," she told me after I said hello. "I want you to go with me.  They are such a fun group."

That's something I have never equated with Alcoholics Anonymous.  That of it being a fun group.  I love AA, but for the most part, they are a reserved bunch of people -- almost dour.  Overly serious.   The local NA group is filled with laughter and recovery.  Young people who were once on the fringe of society -- outcasts due to their addictions -- reveling in their sobriety and stewardship for each other.

"Are you going with me?" Rosa asked after my pause.

"8 o' clock right?"

"Pick me up at 7:30," Rosa replied.

There is a heavily tattooed young couple that goes to NA.  I made the mistake of asking them a few weeks ago if they were married.  "We are brother and sister!" they exclaimed.  We all got a good laugh out of that.  I look forward to seeing that duo tonight.  I also look forward to supporting Rosa in her recovery.      

17 comments:

Anonymous Boxer said...

I find it's always easier to go to new places or places where I don't know many people when someone goes with me. NA is a similar message as AA, so I think it's great you two go to meetings together.

jane said...

i think it's great that their meeting is full of laughter. my sense of humor has gotten me through some dark days and has never abandoned me.

i love rosa by the way. she's real. i like that in a person. i'm happy that you found your way back to her.

wishing you all good things. keep the postings coming!

jane

amelia said...

I really admire Rosa's determination to stay clean.

Her addiction is a very hard one to recover from.

LM said...

Andrew,
Do you have any idea how much joy you bring your readers? You are an inspiration to anyone who has faced obstacles in their life. Please do not change your writing style. God bless you (and Rosa...and Maggie :-)

Barb said...

Andrew,
Your readers lift me up, reminding me that there is goodness that surrounds us. My thoughts are with you and Rosa for tonight's meeting.

B~

justLacey said...

Doesn't NA operate like AA? Why can't you go to both? I wish I could be a fly on that wall tonight, lol.

Andrew said...

Lacey,

Some groups tend to be strict about their "singleness of purpose" keeping the groups separate. The Huguley Sobriety group here in town will actually run off anybody who says they are an addict at a AA meeting. I've personally witnessed it.

Tiffanie said...

What I love about NA is that they welcome alcoholics too. They realize that alcohol is just a drug in a bottle.

Beautifully Profound said...

Nice to hear you and Rosa are doing well and you two are getting out together. It's always a lot easier when you have someone to lean on in times of turmoil. You two are just fine for each other. You mentioned the other day possibly getting rid of the Twitter updates, I wish you wouldn't. Maybe I am nosey but I like to see what you do with your day as well as your regular posts. It's interesting to me. Anyway, have a great NA meeting tonight, enjoy the company and hopefully you have some laughs. Take care Andrew.

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

glad you and rosa are good.

yeah the NA membership tends to have a younger age range, but I had loads of aa meetings to choose from in the beginning so i just shopped around till I found a younger groovier aa meeting that was having a laugh as well as getting sober. but you may have fewer to choose from there. The main thing to look for is continued sobriety AND a positive and enthused outlook on life. Happy joyous and free as they say..

hope you like the meeting..

Sharyna said...

I'm glad you two are sooooo happy together! Glad you enjoy the NA meeting too!

sharyna

Cheryl said...

I'll look forward to hearing your NA story!

Golden To Silver Val said...

I'm so glad you went with Rosa tonight. I have a lot of respect for her and how well she's done. I'm also very proud of you Andrew...I've noticed your counter. Keep up the good work. I, too, look forward to hearing your NA story. I attended one time as support for my son, who is an alcoholic...they were a very nice, happy group who welcomed alcoholics too.

Brad said...

Hope you & Rosa enjoyed the meeting and maybe did something fun after.

Kelly Jene said...

I'm glad you two have each other. Maybe you'll learn something you wouldn't have at aa. Take care friend!

SOUL: said...

recovery is recovery--and it's the same twelve steps. the more you enjoy where you are-- the more willing you are to stay. so , hey-- whatever works right?
enjoy...
glad you had some laughs, and a good meeting too!
hope you are doing well, and have a good good day

EE said...

LOL...that's totally something I would have asked, too!