Sunday, February 10, 2008

Race to the Finish Line...

As Monday draws closer, my anxiety increases exponentially.  Is this normal?  I have tried so hard to stay up at night, but don't make it far past midnight and I am in the bed with Maggie.  I am scared I won't be able to handle a new job and working third shift too.  Why did I have to pipe up when talking about times to the job recruiter for Mickey D's?  I told her I once worked third shift for a year and she penciled me in for that time as if I could do it again.  It would just be my luck.  It seems everything is conspiring against me doing this.  The long drive.  Third shift. A brusque manager.  Minimum wage.

I keep thinking I have to start somewhere.  For nine months, I will be bringing in around $2000 dollars after taxes including my disability.  It should allow me to save and pay some old debts.  I have to start at the bottom again and work my way up.

Will I make it?  We will know Monday.  That first night is going to be key.  I don't handle adversity well mentally so it will be interesting to see how I do. I have orientation tomorrow at 3:30 PM.    

6 comments:

CJM-R said...

I think it is very normal for your anxiety to increase as the day gets closer. We all feel like that when we are starting something new and there are so many unknowns.

You will find out if you can do this or want to do it. It will be your decision alone and you know your bloggers will support what you decide.

It is a great thing that you are taking a risk. We are all behind you.

Good luck!
Lena

mago said...

It's normal to be nervous before something new and unused.
Chin up - you are worth it.

(Big fat 82 is great!)

jrlmx2 said...

I know you can do it, Andrew. Anxiety is normal for any 1st-day-on-the-job. You'll be able to stay up - I could do it at work, but not at home! Love the Maggie pic. You are blessed!

Tee said...

Being nervous about a new job is normal. Maybe the activity around you will help keep you awake. I'm sure you are going to have lots of material to write about on your blog. :-)

dellsgarden said...

Your feelings are normal. You can do it, Andrew!

Janice

Eric Valentine said...

Being nervous about a new job is perfectly normal.

If you determine that you will get there, then you will. Good Luck my friend. :)