Thursday, February 07, 2008

The Big Day...

"I think I may have a job," I told my nurse this morning during our every two week injection ritual.

"Oh, I am so proud of you!" she exclaimed as she gave me a hug.

I left the doctor's office and went by my father's pharmacy.  He was handing me my Benadryl as I told him about the job.

"Just don't go for the interview," he said. "I can't see you working at McDonald's anyway."

"I'll think about it," I told him. "I really want to work."

I left the pharmacy and went by my parent's house to get my Social Security card.  I never can get my mother's maid's name straight.  I call her by her sister's name.  She gets pissed off.   "Helen!" she said brusquely correcting me. 

Well, today is the big day.  Sadly, I can't afford to work and it is probably going to be the stupidest thing I have ever done by returning.  I am awash in emotion this morning as I ponder what to do.  I looked online and the job is most likely going to be third shift -- third shift at minimum wage.   Doesn't sound too appealing does it?  I am going to give it the good college try, though.  I hope to be working by this weekend.

8 comments:

justLacey said...

Don't talk yourself out of it. If your father thnks it's so beneath you, why doesn't he give you a part time job? You could stock shelves or cashier and he could pay you under what you can make so you could keep your benefits. If you don't like Mc Donalds you can quit. have you applied at the local grocery? Don't you know the manager there? What about the Circle K?

Jenn said...

I was going to say the same thing! He talked once of giving you a job, have you asked him about it? He could make sure you have decent hours and are not overstressed. You should mention it to him the next time he gives you some lip about working at McDonalds.

Sharyna said...

I agree with everyone else! But if Dad gave you a job, then he'd have to give you money and he doesn't want you to have any money! Good luck!

sharyna

Bridget said...

I don't agree with your father at all on this one. No job is "beneath" anyone who wants to do an honest day's work for an honest day's pay, which you do. In my life, I've done everything from waitress to work as a corporate department manager - and I did my best in every job I had. As to 3rd shift minimum wage, I don't know about the McD's in your area, but here up North, the 3rd shift pays the best - $12.50/hr...which is not minimum wage. Plus, nighttime is quiet. I worked 3rd shift a few times in my life and loved it. The only thing I didn't like was that my friends all worked first shift, so I barely saw them. But Rosa tends to go to bed before you, so that could work. Don't poo-poo the idea or feed into what your father says until you check it out for yourself. Kind of like that old saying: You lose every race that you don't run.

ac said...

Just wanted to wish you well in this new venture. I'm thinking about you and hoping you get out of this every. good. thing. Good luck to you! ac

glittermom said...

I agree , give it a chance..You don't have to keep the job if its too bad...You will always wonder if you did the right thing if you don't give it a chance...and once you have a work record other jobs will become available to you...

impromptublogger said...

Well, considering how you have been proving him wrong now for the last 79 days I think you have a great chance of doing the same thing now with a job. And it's not like you're going to be bound to the job - if it doesn't work out you can get something else. More important is getting your foot in the door again.

Crossing fingers and toes it all went well today!

Manifesting Mini Me (MMM) said...

sometimes people parent and direct their children by focussing on the effects of negative consequences (fear of punishment)- this isn't uncommon (although I wish it were because I was taught this sort of outlook!).

Instead there is another way - grace for the learning curves and encouragement and wisdom for the spirit of discovery and adventure - I'm glad you are an overcomer, willing to seek out the fulfillment of your heart's desire - it is a good one too! The best to you, Andrew!