Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Railroading Man

Spent the past few days obsessed with my Model Railroaders. Sunup finds me in my Lazy Boy reading, and sundown finds the same. Little empires are built in my mind as I daydream and enjoy the artistry of others. Rosa is wondering when I am going to tire of this phase I am going through. I've been so obsessed that my usual pastimes of blogging and writing have fallen to the wayside.

This afternoon I broke away from my magazines long enough to get my mountain bike roadworthy again. The tires were flat and the chain and gears needed oiling. I felt like a little kid again riding through my neighborhood in the cool evening air tonight.

I was standing out in the back yard putting my bike under the basement when Rosa called outside tonight. She said she had supper ready. She had fixed an easy supper of grilled cheddar sandwiches and some vegetable/beef soup I had frozen that she thawed. It was a delicious supper befitting this cool, almost fall-like evening.

I also talked to Dad on the phone this evening and we are going to drive to Riverdale, Georgia to Riverdale Station. A great little model railroading and train shop specializing in trains from the south. He said I could pick up some supplies and kits I intend to build. That gave me something to look forward to.

12 comments:

Summer said...

I love your days. Say hello to Rosa and the professor for me!

villain820 said...

Model railroading is such a cool hobby. The little craft shop I go to has a train running along the wall near the ceiling. I love to hear it and watch it go by. Good luck tomorrow!

anonymous said...

Don't. Leave. The. Keys. In. The. Van. When. You. Make. Deliveries. For . Your. Dad.

geelizzie said...

Your posts are sounding like you are feeling really good these days. Model railroading is such a great hobby-my son started building layouts with his dad when he was really small and now has his spare bedroom full of trains. He loved trains so much that he got a job with BNSF railroad as a conductor when he was 19 and is now an engineer at 26.
I'm so glad to hear that you and your dad are getting along so well, too-have fun at the train store!

CJM-R said...

When you didn't post earlier today, I just knew that you were having a busy and wonderful day. Good for you, Andrew! How great to have such an interesting hobby.

Good luck with your job tomorrow!
Lena

justLacey said...

Sounds like a fun trip to Riverdale Station. I love Georgia and would like to visit Savannah some day. I would also like to take a trip to Portland, Oregon. I saw something on it one night and it caught my attention. What a pretty place. I'm glad your days are filled up with things you enjoy.

mosiacmind said...

it is sooo good to read that your having so much fun. i hope that you and your dad have a good trip to shop and look. it is snowy here and really pretty yet slick so am staying inside.i had an appointment today but decided to stay inside since mainstream said it was hard to walk. gracie is loving the snow and it is beautiful out. i wish i could show you a picture of it.

Cheryl said...

Hi Mr. 92 day man....

I'm pleased to hear that your old hobby is pulling you back. I always think of you when I see a model railroading magazine.

Enjoy your day!

Kelly Jene said...

Sounds like a great day. We had grilled cheese last night too. I'm glad you're getting into it.. when you start building, take lots of pictures!

Mary said...

Andrew, Glad you're doing so well.

Do you know that there will be a model train show in Fairhope, Alabama, March 15 & 16? Your hobby seems to be model trains and Rosa wants to go to the beach. This would be a perfect trip for both of you. Fairhope isn't on the beach but it's close enough to enjoy both. The phone number for further info re the train show is: 251-660-1659.

amelia said...

Where are you?

Portia said...

Sounds like a great day! I hope you will share some of your creation with us when that empire gets going:) Dinner sounds so warm + cozy.