Sunday, January 17, 2010

Bright Lights From Welcoming Windows…

The sun was setting and it was drizzling.  Maggie was on her leash and we had just stopped at a stop sign to read the neighborhood canine news.  A few hundred more yards and we would be at Mrs. Florene’s house.  I walked down with my “wife” and could see Mrs. Florene in the brightly lit kitchen window most likely washing the dishes after supper.  I knocked on the door and she welcomed us both inside.

“I’m here to see my sober buddy,” I told her grinning feverishly and excitedly.

“He’s in the den watching TV.  Go on back and see him,” Mrs. Florene replied smiling, glad I had come.

George immediately stood up grinning upon seeing me walk in the room.  He shook my hand vigorously.

“How are you?” I asked eyeing him carefully.

His color looked so good and that yellowish pall his eyes always had when he was drinking heavy was gone.

“Great!” George replied convincingly.

Mrs. Florene walked in with left over bacon from breakfast for Maggie.  Maggie hungrily ate such a treat as her tail wagged wildly.  This was her family too, and she just adores George.  She was making herself at home.

I didn’t stay long.  I mainly wanted to see George face to face.  I knew I could tell if he was sober or not.  As I was walking out the door with Maggie, Mrs. Florene hugged me firmly saying, “Thank you! You made his night.”  George told me he would be over in the morning after work and was bringing a case of regular cokes.  We are going to watch terrible television and have a party of sorts; a sober party.  I can’t wait until the morning and to spend some time with my friend.

13 comments:

Leann said...

Andrew ~ It looks like your friend is on a good start. I truly pray he will remain that way. I am sure you will be a good role model for him to follow. Enjoy your party of cokes and terrible television :-)

I finally figured the date thing out on my blog, thanks for being so helpful and you are never 'bothering' me Andrew. I love hearing from you!

Hap Joy Free said...

wow what a lovely posting tonight. So glad you reached out, and he was sober and happy to see you and Maggie.

Is it a far walk from home? Maybe you can do it more often? After all, look what treats Miss Maggie gets?

Sharyna said...

Thanks for listening to me, you were the only person I could talk to at that moment, not my therapist, not my sponsor (more on that later) and not my shrink. Get George to a meeting. He needs lots of sober friends, not just you. I'm afraid you're not strong enough emotionally to carry another human being. Take care of yourself. Love always...

This IS The Fun Part! said...

What a treat for both you and Maggie! And for George's mom. She really does look at you as another son. I know George was happy to see you as well.

Hang in there - you can both be crutches for each other. And don't drink too many of those Cokes in the morning. You'll get another one of those danm headaches! Nag, nag, nag!!

OK - through nagging!
Love,
Grannie

Lena said...

Glad to hear that George is back home and that he is holding his own.

C.A. said...

Wow...that's a post I thought I'd never read....George is sober, home and doing well. That must make your heart sing, my friend! And because of that, my heart is happy too.

Enjoy the Cokes and the awful TV today...it's a day of celebration for you two and Miss Maggie.

Big Hugs...

C.A.

justLacey said...

Let George know we are all pulling for him, just as we did when you were getting sober. I am excited that he looks and feels better and that he has one good sober friend. I know that was hard for you when you first stopped drinking. You really had no friends to encourage you aside from your bloggers and I know that made it harder. Look how far you have come Andrew. I for one, am very proud of you.

Happyone :-) said...

That is such good news to hear!!!

Joy Heather said...

That is a wonderful Post Andrew..i am so happy for George,You & Mrs Florene. For you to see George looking & feeling so much better must be great...and hopefully it can only get better.
Enjoy your Cokes & T.V.tomorrow..its great now you can both support each other..and it will make one dear lady very happy im sure. You did so well under difficult circumstances, and now you can share what you learned with your dear friend...wishing you both well....brilliant news.

mago said...

Knock on wood.

mommy2twogirls said...

Just checking in on an old friend!
I am so glad George is home and sober. Be strong for him and take him to a meeting. It will be good for both of you. You have been where he is now, so just be his friend and encourage him. Enjoy your morning of cokes and terrible TV. LOL
(( HUGS))
L

Anonymous said...

What a great post. It sounded like a good evening. I would encourage you to keep encouraging George to get to meetings so he can meet more sober people. I am glad that Maggie got such a great treat on your walk. liz

Cin said...

I am glad to hear that George is doing good so far. I think with your help, he will go a long way! :)