Monday, January 25, 2010

Burning the Midnight Oil…

I asked George what he thought of working third shift this morning.

“It’s alright,” George replied. “I have little supervision.  I see my supervisor maybe twice a night.  It’s nice to be able to goof off when I want to.”

I laughed heartily.

“I worked third shift for a year and never did ever feel awake,” I told him. “I was in this hazy fog all the time.”

George told me the hardest part was when he got off work.  That would be the time he would hit his car and take a giant drink to get a buzz on the ride home.

“Makes for long rides home just listening to the radio,” he said.

“I’m amazed at you,” I told him. “You really are doing so well.  The shakes are gone, your eyes are bright, and I’ve never seen your mother happier.”

George blushed if a black man can blush. 

“I’m doing it for momma.  She’s getting old and can’t take all that drinking shit anymore.”

I refrained from telling him he should be doing it for himself.  I didn’t want to be a killjoy.

“You’re a good role model,” George then said, catching me by surprise. “You’ve walked in my footsteps.”

“And then some…” I replied facetiously.  “At least you were never homeless.”

George and I both got quiet watching TV.  I turned it to the death and destruction channel and George howled in protest!

“You know what?” I asked George. “You’re my dopeman.”

“How’s that?” George asked laughing.

“You bring me cokes; my drug of choice these days,” I replied.

George burst out laughing.  He had never heard of such a thing.

“You can’t get high off of cokes,” he said. 

“I can!” I protested.  “I get all happy and hyper.  I am so sensitive to most substances.”

George laughed some more and said he had never heard of a coke addict pawning his TV for cokes so I was safe.

“Damn your parents!” he exclaimed as he got up to leave. “Drink you some goddamned cokes!”

I smiled and walked George out to his car.

“Today gonna be a sober day?” I asked him before he shut his door.

“Cross my heart and swear to die,” he said with a big toothy grin and drove home.

5 comments:

forsythia said...

Good for George, but you're right. He should do it for himself. Makes me think of Mom's brother, Uncle Jack. When their parents got very old and very sick, he quit drinking to take care of them, which he did faithfully, for 2-3 years until they died. Then, poor man, he needed gall bladder surgery. Wouldn't you know it? He didn't survive the operation. Life is not fair, so you have to do what you can to improve your chances of the best life possible. Tell George to do it for himself and not just his mama.

Andrew said...

forsynthia,

Next time I see George I will make it a point to do it for himself. You should see him though. He looks and acts like a different man. It is amazing the change that has come over him. His mother is beside herself. We have to be careful though. Today marks only two weeks of sobriety.

Joy Heather said...

As long as it works, what does it matter who its for..at this moment in time he may think much more of his Mom than himself ??...he will do it for himself in time ..once he starts to really see the difference its making in his life..im so pleased for him, and it must do you good too, knowing you are playing a big part in his progress..you are a good person Andrew.

geelizzie said...

That is an awesome story, I hope he is able to continue with the program. I think it's fine if he's doing it for his mom rather than himself, sometimes doing something for the ones we love can help you stick with it longer.

justLacey said...

I am elated to hear that George is doing so well. I have to admit that I didn't think he would make it initially.