Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Misguided Professions…

I once wanted to be a social worker.  I thought with my past I would make a good one.  I have experience with addictions and mental illness.  I could use my life experiences to help others; my goal was to be a good secular humanist.  Well, a reader of the blog contacted me and dissuaded me from becoming one.  “It is the hardest and most thankless job you could ever have,” she wrote me. “And you get paid crap!”  That dashed my hopes and grand dreams.  I was already enrolled in college at the time and on track to become one. 

I am a man possessed tonight.  I want my mother’s big flat screen LCD HDTV.  Dad bought it for her for Christmas a few years ago and she has never turned it on once.  I noticed today that it had analog hookups for a computer.  I am having dreams of having lots of computer screen real estate.  Mom can’t make any decisions on her own so I just called dad to inquire about it.

“Pretty please?” I pleaded of the television. “I am so excited about it!”

“Let me think about it,” dad said, sounding wary.

He didn’t sound too enthusiastic about the idea.  I think the TV was pretty expensive being an high definition model.  But what good is it sitting in mom’s bedroom and never being used?   I would put it to good use and get loads of enjoyment out of it.  I tried to tell dad that I would just be “borrowing” it. 

I also did something today that I will probably get in trouble with dad for.  I called and upgraded my Internet service to 8 megs download speed.  It will cost fifteen extra dollars a month.  When dad gets the bill next month, he is gonna flip!  I will try to justify it by saying it is only fifteen dollars a month and it is my money after all.

9 comments:

Hap Joy Free said...

Tell your dad you will cut your food bills by $4 a week to pay the extra $15 per month for the internet.

Fair deal to me!

PS..also, tell him that TV needs to be used, just think about how many haitians would love to utilize a fine piece of equiptment....dont waste the wonderful things you have!

Anonymous said...

it is your money and the idea of hap joy free was a good one about taking it out of your grocery money if he flips. i hope that you get the t.v. i was glad after this morning that you wrote another post so i could see how you are, liz

Leann said...

Perhaps if you for warned him? I agree that if Mom is not using it, it would be a nice addition for you. Good luck with persuading your Father.

Maire said...

TV's need to be used! LOL! Being a social worker is often a thankless job, but very rewarding, and you could work in a rehab or non profit.
I'm craving Coke something terrible, none in the house, boogers!
Hugs
Maire

Sharyna said...

You know your dad is going to have a fit. It wasn't his idea and he didn't ok it. What if he calls them and changes it back?

Sharyna said...

Do you still hear from Clara? I had always hoped that maybe you and her could have gotten together.

2sunset said...

Hi Andrew,
I think you would be an excellent personal counselor for those battling similar demons. If you could get the education and stay on track as you have been, I think its a great goal.

It sounds like the friend who advised you otherwise is very unhappy with their job....as far as the "thankless" comment goes...people in crisis do not have it in them to "thank" a counselor for their work - nor should they have to.

The rewards of counseling are intrinsic, slow-paced and the pay can be poor, to good depending on the employer and union benefits. Check it out Andrew - it might be for you. Maybe start with volunteer work to try out your fit.

Joy Heather said...

I echo all that sunset as said..If it is something you have always wanted and you were going to college for proper training...Go for it and at least try..( they terach you how to handle the flack to a degree anyway) I think you would make an excellent social Worker..One of my dearest friends as been doing it for years, & is head of dept...sure it can be thankless, but she wouldn't do anything else..you may always regret not at least trying..We are all different Andrew..i think its a good idea.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking of going back to school for social work. And I just signed up for a new ISP but I downgraded from what I had before....

Mary..OX