Friday, January 08, 2010

Need Advice…

I am hyper sensitive to the DCMA (Digital Copyright Management Act) these days.  I had downloaded some movies, but deleted them all when I got paranoid about lawsuits.  Mom’s been letting me rent them these days with gift cards at a local movie rental store.  I also took down my “mp3 of the day” feature of the blog just to be careful.  It is just not worth it.

Well, I found a location to download all 700 episodes of the National Public Radio show Hearts of Space.  I’ve really been into ambient music.  The shows are 32 Gigabytes and would take about five days to download.  Since the show is publicly funded, would I be breaking the copyright act by downloading?  Anyone have any expertise in this area?  I won’t download them if it is breaking the law.  I just need advice.  What do you think?  Should I err on the side of caution?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah I think dowloading npr shows are ok...they put their stuff online...actually, I guess it depends where u r gettiing it frm the official website for the show or some sketchy website...mary

Anonymous said...

As long as you don't resell, you'll be fine.

And they won't outright sue you. They'll send you a cease and desist letter first. That's your warning shot. I know lots of bloggers who download stuff -- especially NPR shows.

Most artists don't mind the MP3 of the day feature on blogs. It's a way to promote their music and it actually sells their CDs and singles.

-- Peg (Google won't let me sign in again.)

Anonymous said...

Go to iTunes and search in the podcast directories for anything and everything you enjoy, including NPR. I bet they even have podcasts related to model railroading. Search iTunes University too.

You'll have a whole new world of no-charge, guilt free audio and video to subscribe to.

Andrew said...

Thank you all for the suggestions and thank you anonymous for the wonderful idea. I've found a whole new world like you said!

Anonymous said...

Andrew you're very welcome :)

I've been reading you for a long time and thank you. :)