Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Let Mom do Your Shopping!

I have grown weary of thinking of things to get grocery wise.  I am a good cook, but it sucks cooking for one and I can be lazy about cleaning up.  I like a clean kitchen and prepared foods afford this.  Today, I asked mom just to buy me what she thought I would like.  Boy, was I surprised. 

“I’m in trouble,” she told me sitting in her car as I walked out to carry in my groceries. 

“Why?” I asked wondering what trouble a 64 year old lady could get in.  I looked puzzled.

“I spent $120 dollars on your groceries.  I got a little wild,” she replied.

I laughed. “We are just alike mom,” I said. “Don’t worry about it.  We’ve been so, so frugal for months to the point I didn’t have anything to eat at the end of many weeks.”

“Tell dad I would have spent that in one week drinking beer when I had control of my disability.”

Mom felt better with me telling her that.

Well, this is what mom got me.

  • 6 tins of fish steaks in mustard sauce (Kinda like sardines, but not as fishy.  Milder)
  • 2 boxes of Ritz crackers
  • 2 bunches of bananas
  • 8 granny smith apples
  • 8 gala apples (I love these)
  • 15 assorted Lean Cuisine meals (These are so good for frozen food.)
  • 2 large bottles of Louisiana hot sauce
  • 10 cans of Chef Boyardee Beefaroni (Thus the purchase of the hot sauce.  She knows I love it in my beefaroni.)
  • 4 cans of Hormel chili with no beans
  • 2 loaves of giant sunbeam bread
  • 4 cans of tuna
  • 1 bottle of sweet pickle relish
  • 1 dozen eggs
  • instant grits (I don’t like instant, but oh well, I will eat it when I get hungry enough)
  • 1 package of Kroger brand thick cut bacon (This should be interesting.  I buy Black Label brand)
  • 2 large boxes of unfrosted strawberry Poptarts.  
  • 1 package of Country Pride pork sausage
  • 1 large package of sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 bunch of celery for tuna salad
  • 1 large jar of Blue Plate mayonnaise
  • 6 cans of Kroger light lemonade

8 comments:

kristi said...

Dang that all sounds good!

impromptublogger said...

Now she can go shopping for me.... But seriously don't overdo it on the Chef Boyardee cans - have you looked at the sodium content in those?

Sharyna said...

Lots of interesting ingredients! Celery?

Anonymous said...

celery for making tuna salad? i let mom shop for me a couple of weeks ago and she did a great job and spent more money than i usually do i still have food that she got me. i really like the lean cuisines myself too. liz

Cheryl said...

Good shopping list. And I'm SO envious of your very large monitor, even though I only use my laptop. And next laptop I'm going smaller.

Summer said...

Your mom is such a good mom! I haven't seen Blue Plate mayo since I spent my summers in NC as a little girl. The other day I saw Duke's at Wal Mart...another blast from the past for me.

Leann said...

I like chili with no beans too :-)

You can have my share of the fish tho....ick :-)

skinny minny said...

I understand about cooking for one it can be tedius and a little sad somehow...why not invite george and his mom over to dinner or lunch as a thank you or a payment in kind to his mom? I remember you blogging about cooking and thinking what a wonderful cook you must be it all always looked and sound delicious. Glad she went a little wild shopping for you sounds like maybe you needed to be spending more and getting more anyway.