Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Ya Gotta Watch What Mom Will Say…

My and mom’s talks have become regular.  “Come over for awhile,” she told me over the phone last night.  I had a toothache and needed some Tylenol so I headed over.  Killed two birds with one stone as they say.

“Get you some cokes out of the fridge,” mom said when I arrived. “But don’t tell your father.”

I happily walked into the kitchen to get a Diet Coke to take my Tylenol.  It was the best tasting coke I had ever had and I told mom so.

We talked for a long time mainly about dad and his peculiarities.  Mom was fretting again when I told her I had computer problems all day.  I worked on my computer for hours and hours and finally got it fixed.  My master boot record had become corrupted somehow and I had to format my drive and reinstall Vista.  Mom let it slip what her inheritance from her mother was while we were on this subject.

“Your father won’t let me spend it,” she said. “Or I would buy you a nice computer.”

My eyes lit up.  New computer?  Could there be a God?  My hopes were dashed when mom said dad would never allow it. 

I had drank four Diet Cokes when it was close to time for dad to stop by my house with my medications. i bid mom adieu.

“You sure your computer is okay?” mom said always fretting and obsessing about something.

“I will find out when I get home,” I said. “It has been running for hours now.  I should know when I restart it.”

“Call me and let me know,” mom replied.

There were three messages on my answering machine from mom left during the short one mile drive from their house.

You can’t go without a computer,” mom said. “I hope it’s fixed.  I will ask your father about getting you a new one.  Call me when you get home and restart it.”

Bless mom!  She would give me the shirt off her back if I needed it.  I love her dearly, but I don’t need a new computer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i hope that your tooth feels better, liz