Friday, January 08, 2010

Hesitant to Get Excited…

I’m no stranger to addictions.  I’ve known many personally during my lifetime. I know how hard they can be to quit. Well, George told me last night that he was going to stop drinking. Imagine my shock and also my wary nature came into play.  Could George actually stop?

“Momma started crying hysterically last night when I came home drunk and pissed all over myself,” George had told me.  “I broke her heart.  I am going to quit!”

“Don’t do it alone and don’t do it for your mother. Do it for yourself,” I told him. “Get some help. Go to detox and they will help you get through the first week of quitting. You will get rest, good food, and medications.”

George told me he was going to lean on me for awhile and that I would see a lot of him in the next few weeks.  I was elated!  I want my friend to be okay and to be over here with me during this hard time!

George was a very heavy drinker.  He’s going to have the shakes and it is going to be very hard.  If he could just make it through the nightmare that is the first few weeks then I think he will be okay.  I am hesitant to get excited, but I remain hopeful.  I am going to do what I can to help my friend even if it means going to AA all the time again.   If I can just convince the completely unreligious George to go. 

11 comments:

C.A. said...

I think it's wonderful that George is going to make a conscious effort to quit and that he has the support of a a dear friend who's been there and done that. :) It's all good, Andrew!

Hugs....

C.A.

Andrew said...

C.A.

I hope George can quit. I know how hard it can be so the odds are stacked against him. I will drive him to detox if need be.

Andrew

Sharyna said...

Don't let George do this alone! He could have seizures! He's going to need a week off of his job cuz he can't work and do this. Have you considered Hummers? Give him a shot of whiskey every few hours, lengthening the time in between until he's clean.

Andrew said...

Sharyna,

I know! I hoping Mrs. Florene will get him into detox for a week if his insurance will pay. I talked to her this morning and she is on the phone working on it. George has said he will go and will take some vacation days to do it. I am so excited for my friend! It's like a brave new world for him!

Happyone :-) said...

That is great news and I wish George the best and sure hope things go well for him.
I will be praying for him.

This IS The Fun Part! said...

One thing we all know for sure is that you will give it everything you've got and then some. If he's ready for this, you may be saving his life!

What a wonderful gift for you to be able to share with him - and with your "other mother".

I wish you the very best.

Grannie

Joy Heather said...

I am thrilled that George is going to try & quit drinking..i so hope he is able to..his dear Mom will be elated..and you are one of the best folk to help him..detox would help, but getting him there may be a problem i suspect??....i so want to talk to you about one of my close family (an alcoholic)..but the circumstances that helped him are very personal & i wouldn't share anyone elses problems on line..but i do think his outcome could help you to help George...would you mind if i shared the details with you in an E-Mail Andrew ??..once i explain fully you will understand the reason i dont want it as public knowledge..he as given me his permission to tell you..because he wants George to be helped as well.

Andrew said...

Joy,

Click "Contact" at the top of the blog and email me. I am interested and want to know what you have to write. I so want George in recovery. It would be nice to have a friend to share sobriety with. Sometimes, I feel so alone in this. I know I have y'all and my family, but somehow, it is just not the same as having a friend whose walked in my footsteps so to speak.

Cheryl said...

A sober George would be amazing. It would save his life. I can't wait to hear if it happens.

LM said...

You are a true friend, Andrew. Blessings to both you and George, as well as Mrs. Florene.

Joy Heather said...

It would be wonderful.if you & George could both help each other through the difficult times...i so hope you are able to do this..will write tonight (Sat)