Friday, January 08, 2010

On Alert!

“Something’s wrong with you,” my dad said a moment ago on the phone. “What’s going on?”

“Why?” I asked, my ears pricking up. “I feel shaky today, but I am hanging in there.”

“Your mother said you haven’t come to get your cokes today.  You always get them in the morning.  I feared something was bad wrong with you.  You have been getting those cokes religiously for months now.”

I laughed, relieved that was all it was.  I have to be so hyper sensitive to my father’s perception of me.

“The caffeine made me sick yesterday,” I replied honestly. “I almost had an anxiety attack.  I had been drinking tea all day and the cokes sent me overboard.”

“I feared this would happen,” dad replied, sounding relieved.  “I am just glad you are okay.  I thought something bad had happened and you were dead or something.”

I laughed again.

Well, dad hung up and called mom.  Mom, worried I wouldn’t have my cokes, drove all the way to my father’s store to get a six pack of caffeine (I can’t for the life of me spell this word right!) free Diet Cokes. Bless her!  They were wonderful and didn’t make me sick.  No more caffeine for Andrew.  Yesterday scared me.  I am so obsessive compulsive.  Mom’s slowly gathering up all the tea she bought for me as well.  She took one jug home and will get the rest tomorrow.  I’ve already drank three gallons.   

3 comments:

Leann said...

I hope you are feeling better today Andrew. I know how sensitive you are to such things.

Cheryl said...

My drink, when I drink soda, is Caffeine-free diet coke. I bet you'll feel much better without the caffeine.

No word about snow. Does this mean you didn't get any? I know how much you were looking forward to it.

This IS The Fun Part! said...

When my doc said to cut back on caffeine, I started mixing half regular Coke with half caffeine-free. It sure helped back dawn from it. I even did the same with my iced tea I made at home. Sure was easier than "cold turkey"!

Congrats on recognizing the problem and dealing with it so well!

Grannie