Sunday, January 24, 2010

Shameless Self Promotion for Dad…

We had finished eating breakfast, Mrs. Florene, George and I.   Suddenly Mrs. Florene started to feel dizzy and flushed.

“I think I forgot to take my blood pressure medication last night.  I am almost out,” she said.

“Go ahead and take another, mom,” George chimed in. 

I watched as Mrs. Florene slowly made her way to her bedroom.  This really alarmed me and it did George too. She walked back in in the kitchen and took the pill with a glass of water.

“You should really trade with dad,” I told her. “You could have called him even on a Sunday to see what to do.  You couldn’t do that with Wal-Mart.”

“You can really call your dad on the weekends?” Mrs. Florene asked surprised.

“Of course,” I replied. “The number is listed.  Dad will even fill prescriptions on Sunday in an emergency.”

I had convinced Mrs. Florene to change over to dad’s pharmacy.  I really didn’t do this on purpose, but I wanted her to be able to call her pharmacist the next time this happened.   She is 74 and not getting younger, and takes lots of medications.  Dad would give her the personal care she needed and I also hoped dad would see that Mrs. Florene and George are good people.  He gives me a hard time about going over there. 

9 comments:

Hap Joy Free said...

She is lucky to have you as her second son, Andrew!

Marsha said...

Ditto!!

Joy Heather said...

I agree with the two previous comments. Also it could be good two-fold if Mrs Florene did use your Dad for her prescriptions, as you say he would get to know her and also she would have better access when she needed help..sometimes these things are meant to be.

forsythia said...

I agree, Andrew. There is nothing like a pharmacist who knows you personally.

Lena said...

Funny, I just came from the drug store to pick up a prescription and they had put it back in stock because I forgot to pick it up.

I asked them why they just didn't give me a call? No answer.They didn't even apologize.

I could have used some personal service from a friendly neighborhood pharmacist!

This IS The Fun Part! said...

Mrs. Florene is lucky. Not just to have you - but to have lived to see George make a strong effort to get his life on track. You have helped to make significant positive changes in her world, Andrew.

Give yourself some credit for that. It has to be so satisfying. You may not think that you're good at some things . . . but what you are good at - you do SO WELL!

I'm so proud to call you my friend.

Love,
Grannie

Leann said...

It's nice to hve someone you can rely on when it comes to that type of thing.

Summer said...

You're a great friend to all your friends and I know for sure that your Dad will take care of her.

Sharyna said...

Ms. Florene should not be using Walmart. Walmart is for birth control pills. I'd die without my family pharmacy. Our Mike is very much like your dad with his patients/clients. Lots of personal care. If you are on a lot of meds, see your family pharmacy.