Monday, January 11, 2010

Taking the Slow Train to Birmingham…

I was frying the bacon this morning as Mrs. Florene watched an egg timer that was timing the poached eggs that were steaming on the stove.

“Are they going to take George outside to smoke?” she whispered, speaking of the hospital.

George was sitting at the kitchen table across the room reading the morning newspaper. He couldn’t hear what we were discussing. 

“No,” I whispered back. “They will give him the nicotine patch though.”

“Well, don’t tell him that or he won’t go,” Mrs. Florene replied quietly. “He thinks he is going to be able to smoke.  He stuck four packs of cigars in his night bag last evening.”

A bed opened up overnight on the detox floor.  They called early this morning telling Mrs. Florene to bring George to be admitted as soon as possible.  Mrs. Florene and I are both so nervous.  Will he back out?  Will detox work?  Will all this set George on the course of a new life?  Only time will tell, and I tell you, I will be waiting anxiously to watch things unfold.  I love my friend and I hope he will be okay. 

10 comments:

Jenn said...

I wish him luck!

mago said...

It's worth a try, isn't it?

Happyone :-) said...

Good luck to George. Hope all goes well!!

This IS The Fun Part! said...

You have good reason to be concerned for your friend. This is something that you have experience with and you know how hard this will be for him.

Just be sure to give him the love and support that you know he needs and help his mom get through it, too.

Andrew Quixote, you have a big heart!

Grannie

Joy Heather said...

I hope George goes through with it, and comes out the other end fit & well...but it won't be easy will it,thank goodness he has you for a friend..and a Mom who really loves him as well. I am thinking & praying for you all.

Anonymous said...

You are a good friend to George and I hope he makes it through and can get some help. You have been through all that he is about to go through and I know you will support him in every way.
L

mommy2twogirls said...

Sorry Andrew, the last comment was from me...my fingers wanted to get ahead of me.
L

justLacey said...

I hope this will help George and Mrs. Florene. I don't see how he can even detox in 3 days though. I hope when he gets there they will work something out and let him stay.

Moonroot said...

Good luck to George! I hope he knows what a good friend he has in you.

Summer said...

Now I'm feeling anxious!