Friday, April 27, 2018

The Tipsy One…

drunk-dateI smelled wine on my father’s breath Sunday night. Good thing Charlie was driving. Well, he was downright tipsy last night when he stopped by for a visit and to see Maggie.

“Let me drive you home!” I told him adamantly. 

“I swear I haven’t had that much to drink!” he exclaimed to me.

“Yeah, that’s what all the tipsy people tell cops when they’ve gotten pulled over,” I told my father.

You could hear it in his voice.

What is weird is that he hasn’t had a drink that I know of for months. I told him a few months back that he must have scared himself. All his uncles were notorious drunks. Walt gave away Papa’s truck in a drunken poker match one time years ago – signed over the title and everything.  He has that gene and if he is not careful will join their ranks.

Papa was sober today when I drove over to see him. He had been furiously cleaning and the house smelled wonderful.

“It smells wonderful in here,” I exclaimed walking in the back door which made him beam with pride.

Of course, he was watching Doctor Phil and a show about the world’s most obnoxious mother-in-law. I about couldn’t watch it she was so aggravating and rude. It was reminiscent of my mother-in-law when I was married decades ago. 

Where is Charlie? I haven’t seen Charlie in days. I think he about wore himself out moving into his new home. I would love a Charlie visit this afternoon and the afternoon is still young.

1 comment:

Sharyn said...

Does Dad have a social life? I forget how close his grandkids are. I know when I was widowed, had I been left alone, box of wine could have become a good friend. Even 100 year old scotch or cognac can turn evil. Often before the drinking person realizes it has become a problem. Maybe you can do more stuff with him. Maybe you do have more in common than mental health. He owns a river house, how about fly fishing?