Saturday, January 22, 2005

A five star restaurant down in a shack by the lake…….

I got coerced into going out to eat with my family last night. I was already tired from working, studying, and a long week of classes and didn’t really want to go. Dad chose the Hunter’s Pub Steak House which is a little hole in the wall type place out by the backwaters near Columbus, Georgia. I had never been and it looked like a dump on the outside. It really looked that bad. It was an old 1950’s era gas station that had been converted to a restaurant and rather shabbily I might add. It was out in the middle of no where at a crossroads.

“It’s the best goddamned steak you will ever eat.” Dad said as we drove our way there in the car.

I just had to go on his recommendation. The amount of cars and trucks lined up for miles along the road leading to the restaurant gave a hint as to how good this place was. We ended up having to wait for an hour and half to be seated. There was a line forty people long going out of the restaurant. It grew very chilly standing outside after the sun had set.

We finally sat down to eat. There was Dad, Mom, my sister, my brother-in-law, Charlie, his wife, and his son. I picked up a menu to scan the offerings…..

Filet Mignon $24.95

Petite Filet $19.95

Rib eye $18.95

New York Strip $18.95

Ground Sirloin Steak $7.95

It looked downscale on the outside but was definitely upscale regarding the menu and the prices. I had my heart set on the ground sirloin that was $7.95 as I only brought twenty dollars with me. The waitress came to take our order and I stated what I wanted and dad interrupted.

“He will be having the Filet Mignon with garlic mashed potatoes like the rest of us.” He said. “I am paying so it will be one ticket and we also each want a fried lobster tail as an appetizer.”

The steak was delicious and one of the best I have ever eaten. I now see why people would be willing to stand an hour in the cold just to take a seat and eat. The lobster tail was overkill but good. I could barely eat all I had but managed to put it all away despite a balking, distended stomach. It was 10:30 PM by the time we had finished our meal and began to make our way home. I was so full I could not sleep and ended up reading for several more hours in my lazy boy until I had digested enough to be comfortable. I then crawled into bed and slept until 11:30 AM this morning. I was absolutely exhausted from the busy week that was now behind me. I have felt tired all day and have gotten little accomplished despite sleeping so long last night. Hopefully, tomorrow I will have the energy to study hard and in earnest. Today was not the day.

No comments: