Sunday, January 09, 2005

Conquering that daunting hedge….

I know I am writing a lot these past few days. I may not have the energy and zest to write as much as I have done in the foreseeable future. The time has come for me to apply my full focus on work and school. I will still update from time to time to let long time readers know what is going on with me. I doubt my updates will be as frequent as they have been. I feel I am almost at the finish line when it comes to blogging and this is my last 30 yard sprint to win the race.

I spent this whole afternoon trimming the hedge in the back of my father’s yard. It is huge at 8 feet in height and 4 feet in girth. You have to use a step ladder from both sides to affectively trim it square. Dad still cannot do much yard work after his triple by-pass surgery and has relied upon me to take up the slack. I do it willingly and without griping as he has done so much for me lately in helping me get back on my feet. He has cast away his fears of me and my illness and has also watched me struggle and try so hard. We have a new found respect for each other and are able to talk like we use to before I got very ill.

After finishing the hedge, he came out into the yard to look at my handy work.

“Damn, that looks good.” He said.

“It’s kind of lopsided at the end though.” I replied.

“Nah, it looks good to me.” He replied. “Supper’s ready. I got the chicken just right tonight. I marinated it in Italian dressing to change things up.”

We both walked together up the back yard, up the deck steps, and into the kitchen and sat down to eat. My mother had decided to stay in the bed.

I was a sweaty mess and dirty. I should have gone home and taken a shower before eating but I was starving.

“Don’t get too excited about what I am going to tell you.” He said as we sat there eating.

“Tell me what?” I replied. My interest was piqued.

“I am buying your mother a new RAV4 and I am giving you her old car.” He said. “It was Charlie’s suggestion to do this.”

“You’re kidding me!” I replied.

“No I am not. I bought both your brother and sister a car for college and I am just treating you like I treated them.” He responded.

No comments: