Thursday, January 20, 2005

Too busy for 7:00 AM……

(This will be a multipart posting as I had several things I wanted to express and talk about. I will break them up by subject.)

I will first say that I am not a “morning” person. This morning I was lying in bed and I heard something loud outside. It was loud enough to wake me up earlier than usual.

*SMACK!*

I rolled over and looked at my bedside alarm clock and I still had thirty more blissful minutes I could sleep before my alarm would sound.

*SMACK!*

Damn, there it went again. I dragged myself out of the bed and pulled on my robe and slippers to investigate the noise. I walked into my den and saw Charlie outside a window up on a ladder hanging plastic sheeting and power stapling it to the wood work around my windows.

*SMACK!* *SMACK!*

This month I had complained to my father of my previous month’s gas bill. It was abnormally high. Charlie had overheard and decided that hanging plastic over my drafty windows would solve my problem. Bless his soul; he was out in sub-freezing weather putting up all that plastic before he had to go to work. I got in the shower and then got dressed to go help. I couldn’t do much as I had to meet four of my fellow students on campus in the student lounge to study this morning at a predetermined time. I thanked Charlie profusely for going to such trouble on my behalf. He was cursing and bitching good heartedly at me as usual. I then had to take my leave for school.

We had a good study session at school. One of my goals with going back to college was to not only learn but gain some friends as well. I have lived a very isolated existence this past year other than my family, my girlfriend, and the Piggly Wiggly groupies. I think I made four new friends this morning. They were impressed with my understanding and knowledge of the material and we all exchanged phone numbers so we could keep in contact out of class. I drove home very pleased with our accomplishments this morning.

___________________________________



Ode to my family……

This weekend I had sort of a hiccup with my illness. I had gotten on what my father calls a “high” and it is a type of mania. I was going a hundred miles and hour and not sleeping well. The next day I called my mother and told her I didn’t feel well. I asked her if she would call my psychiatrist and have her call me in something for my nerves. I needed something to calm me down and to help me get some much needed rest. Well, mom told my father and everyone rallied around me and helped support me. A year ago they would have scorned me and kept their distance.

“From now on, you are not going this alone.” Dad said. “I got your brother and sister through medical school by basically talking them through some tough times. I am going to do the same with you.”

Mom came over and brought me some medicine and two barbeque sandwiches. I was just starving and consumed them ravenously. I had forgotten to eat since the day before. I took two zanax and went sound to sleep until the next morning. My family has continued to call to keep tabs on me and how I am doing. They have been so supportive lately and it makes a big difference in my progress and my recovery. I now see your family unit as being an integral part of getting out of homelessness or getting support for an illness. It is nice not to have to go it alone.


________________________________________


Car Search IV: A New Hope Dawns……..

As many of you long time readers might know, my car is, excuse my French, a piece of shit. It is fourteen years old and has almost 180, 000 miles on it now. I no longer have a rear window as it is plastic and has disintegrated from age. This makes for some cold rides down the interstate in the morning to school. It also makes for wet rides in the rain. I will have a puddle of water in the floor board on rainy days. A new top has to be special ordered and it will cost almost $300. The car is probably not worth $500 so I refuse to put any money into it. I just drive it as it is and keep my fingers crossed that it will hold together.

With my new job, I had hoped to save up the money to purchase a newer, used car to get me through college. All I needed was something basic, fuel efficient, weather tight, and reliable. I had my sights set pretty low for my next vehicle; nothing fancy just basic transportation. All of that changed this morning as I was standing in my father’s drug store just checking in with him.

“Don’t get too excited but I talked with your mother and we are buying her a new car next month.” He said. “I will give you her current car at a price you can afford. You just name a price that you think is reasonable and within your new budget since you are working now.”

I was almost beside myself with glee.

“Youre fucking kidding me? Right?” I asked.

“It may take a month as I am not decided on what to get your mother and we are still looking and deciding but it will soon be yours.” He replied.

I stood there kind of dumbfounded as this all sunk in. I didn’t see this coming at all. I wouldn’t have thought of this in a million years. It never entered my mind.

This solves one of the biggest obstacles with me transferring to Auburn University in a year or so. I will now have reliable transportation. The car is a 2000 Honda CR-V 4X4 with only 69,000 miles on it. It has power everything and it will the nicest car I have ever owned other than the 2001 VW Beetle turbo I bought for my ex-wife which she kept in the divorce and took over the payments. All my personal cars have just been basic transportation to get by with. This thing has everything and is loaded. It should last me at least for another eight to ten years.

I just don’t know what to say about my father’s generosity in this matter. I feel as if I have won the lottery. I damn sure will take good care of it though. This thing is my ticket to a degree and I will cherish it.

No comments: