Tuesday, January 11, 2005

A heartwarming experience….

I know this blog is turning into a mundane journal about my college experiences. You will just have to bear with me on this. It is exciting for me and much is going on. After all, is that not what journals are for?

I enjoy having a few friends stop by and read but I am not inclined to have a large readership. This is definitely not going to be a top 100 blog. I write what pleases me and what I get satisfaction out of doing. If I did not then I most likely would not be writing.

Last night, I had put on my pajamas and had settled into my lazy boy to read sipping some hot green tea from a mug. The phone started to ring and then rang many times. I had calls from Charlie, his wife, Dad, Mom, Anthony, my brother, my sister, and Chad. The phone just kept ringing and the show of support from my family and friends was heartwarming. Everyone wanted to know how my first day was and it was encouraging that so many took the time to care and call. A year ago people would have been keeping their distance from me as good old Grumpy spelled trouble.

_______________________________________________


A moment that makes it all worthwhile…

The college is nearby my father’s drug store in another town down the interstate. I usually stop buy the drug store after class to grab a coke and talk to everyone since I am so close. Dad pulled me to the side today.

“Sandra (his pharmacy tech.) was just saying how good you look and how nice you dress now.” He said. “She said you really seem to have it together.”

“She did?” I replied as I blushed.

“Everyone notices a profound difference in you these past few months and everyone is complimenting you.” He said.

It is times like these that make all that hard work done this past year worth the effort. I worked hard to stay sober. I endured the tedious drudgery of sitting an hour just to get a painful 10-minute injection every two weeks. I was patient and saved my money by living on a strict budget. I worked hard on improving the relationship with my family members and their trust in me. It is all starting to pay off. My ex-wife should have stuck around and helped me. She is missing out on a pretty damn good guy these days; a guy who is going places and is going to make a difference in the world one day one humble life at a time.

__________________________________________________


Car talk………

If you have read awhile, then you know I am using the income from my part time job to save up for a better used car for when I start Auburn University in one to two years. That problem is now solved as well.

My father buys my mother a new car every four years like clockwork. He is fixing to buy my mother a new Toyota RAV4. He has offered to let my buy my mother’s current vehicle at an amazing price that fits within my budget. It is a 2000 Honda CR-V EX 4X4 SUV with 79,000 miles on it. It is in mint condition both inside and out. I am ecstatic and can’t wait to take ownership. It will be the first car I have ever owned that has power windows, power steering, power brakes, power locks, cruise control, and the likes. His reasoning was that he always kept my brother and sister in a good car for college and he wanted to do the same for me.

I was completely floored by his offer this morning. It came from out of the blue and I would have never expected this in a million years. This solves one of the biggest obstacles for me as far as going to Auburn is concerned; a reliable and fuel efficient vehicle. I am completely bouncing off the walls I am so excited about this. Well, let me go get some laundry going and then do some more reading.

No comments: