Saturday, January 01, 2005

Ticket to work……..

Could it have actually happened? Did my ticket to work arrive? Yes, it did! It actually arrived several weeks ago and I didn’t know about it. I was sitting over at the parental unit’s house last night awaiting midnight and my mom handed me the envelope.

“This is for you.” She said nonchalantly. “It arrived a while back and I forgot about it.”

Jeeze, thanks mom, I thought. She just didn’t think it was important. I am just glad it wasn’t some important medical bill or something like that.

What does this mean? It means that I can go back to work part time and still keep my disability. I can only earn so much and work so many hours but anything is better than nothing. This will go a long way to bolstering my income (almost double it). It will go an even longer way to bolster my self esteem and confidence. I do not like being on disability. It certainly cramps my style. I want a “normal” life. I want to be as normal and boring as I can possibly be. My life has been too “exciting” for too long.

When I tried to get disability, I did it without a great deal of effort. I didn’t hire a lawyer or go to any expense. I have heard of other people talking about how hard it is to get. I was mainly doing it as a sort of insurance in case I got even more ill than I was so me and my wife would have an income. I guess it shows how fucked up I was at the time that I got it so easily.

I was thinking this morning like a consumer for the first time in a long time. I was dreaming of all the wonderful barbeques I could eat or the new digital camera I could buy with my new income. For the longest time, I have been a capitalist’s worst nightmare as I couldn’t afford to buy but only the most basic things to meet my needs. The economy would have long ago tanked if it relied on my purchasing prowess. Those thoughts were fleeting though.

I HAVE to start saving up for a new vehicle for when I start Auburn University in a few years. It will be a daily drive of around sixty miles to and from my new house to class every day. My goal is to save up enough cash to at least purchase a more reliable used car than the one I currently own. Let’s face it; my little Geo Tracker is on her last legs. She is fourteen years old and is not getting any younger. I have to start planning ahead for the inevitable last break down.

I think I have a job already lined up. I will not go into much detail until I know more. It will be a part time position as a receptionist at the clinic I volunteer at. There are looking for more help.

Can I juggle school AND a job? Who knows but I am going to give it my best shot. It certainly will end these long, boring days stuck in this little apartment without a damn thing to do all day but browse the internet. Being a mentally ill slacker ain’t an easy job and I am ready to quit.

No comments: