Monday, January 03, 2005

T-minus Seven days and counting…….

Seven more days? Yikes! It is almost time to start classes. This past month flew by. It seems like yesterday that I was sitting at an Auburn football game and some great news came my way. Dad turned to me and said….

“I want you to go back to School. I want you to have a degree in something that will inspire you. That and it will piss off your ex-wife if you are doing well and going ahead with your life.” He said.

“You serious?” I asked.

“You do the work and get back into to school and I will pay the bill.” He replied.

“Holy shit!” I thought. This was the equivalent to winning the lottery for me. Kinda of like “The Homeless Guy” getting a new laptop for Christmas but even better.

I did the work, got the transcripts, filled out all the paperwork, jumped all the hurdles, and he paid the bill just like he said he would.

I will be honest and say that I am very freakin’ scared. As each day passes, the butterflies in my stomach flutter even more actively. I am so nervous about this and it is going to be a ton of responsibility put on me. At the same time, I will also be working but on a limited basis. Yes, I am now employed and start tomorrow. They already have my class schedule and are working around that. My job will be scheduling appointments via a computer, filling out appointment cards, pulling and filing relevant files, and answering the phone. Similar to what I was doing as a volunteer but now I will get paid for my efforts instead of just a pat on the back and a thanks you’re doing a good job.

I am also so excited though. Now when my relatives and family friends ask me what I am doing, I can reply that I work part time and go to school full time with pride. I no longer have the embarrassing position of trying to find how to explain to them that I was not doing much but hiking, camping, reading, learning (a lot), and mainly getting on the internet. I now have a purpose and a goal. Something to look forward to other than endless days filled with idle time.

I think it was Aaron who commented that my time will grow limited starting next week and I agree. The days of updating this blog every day and sometimes multiple times a day may be over. Good thing that I rarely watch television as that will not be a time drain. My biggest time drain is the internet, the many blogs I read everyday, and the social avenues I have garnered through this medium. Those will have to take a backseat to my current goals and aspirations. I will endeavor to and try to update at least every few days when I can. I guess I will use my hundreds of old blogs posts from my former blog as fillers. We will just have to wait and see what happens.

_______________________________________


Off on a side tangent: It so warm here that it is weird. I know I should be thankful. This time last year I remember it being very cold and uncomfortable. I remember sitting in front of this computer, writing on my blog, and seeing my breath it was so cold in here. I am wearing t-shirts and shorts today like it was summer. I have yet to use the heat once in over a week and the forecast foretells similar weather for the rest of this week. It will be in the mid to upper seventies at least till the weekend. I will be sure to enjoy it to its fullest. I think I will go camping tonight in celebration. I will write about my experiences in the morning when I return and have to get ready to work. /end tangent.

No comments: