Saturday, January 01, 2005

The Taxi you never saw on TV…….

I walked to my AA meeting tonight to save gas. I have a quarter of a tank left and have to save it. It is good for me and I have fallen out of the habit of exercising regularly. It was a beautiful evening walking home. The dogwoods are starting to show the first glimpses of scarlet red in the leaves. The crickets have begun in earnest their fall mating rituals and are calling with gusto. The air is crisp and cool (for the south anyway). That dogged humidity of the south has pretty much subsided. I was really enjoying my walk home through the run down mill house neighborhoods that line the streets near old downtown.

As I was walking, I heard a car creep up behind me as I followed the path of the sidewalk. I didn’t look back because I was in a kind of run down, majority minority neighborhood and I didn’t want to show fear or suspicion. I was trying to look cool and fit in.

I think I am being followed,” I thought to myself.

“Hey white boy.” I heard a man say behind me from the nosily creeping car.

That voice sounds very familiar,” I thought again and I turned to look and laughed. It was George.

George is a panhandler by day and a sometimes unlicensed cab driver by night. He gives cohorts and other black folks a ride that is much discounted over regular cab fare. Sometimes all you have to do is buy him a six pack of cheap beer. Me? I would rather walk than roll the dice with George’s somewhat questionable sobriety.

“Get in da car, I’s be given you a ride home.” George said with a big goofy grin on his face. It was almost dark and he still had on his sunglasses.

“George, I need the exercise and better walk. Thanks for the offer.” I replied.

“I ain’t drunk!” George exclaimed.

I laughed.

“I didn’t say you were, you shit. I am just enjoying my walk.” I replied with a grin.

“Man, I has a terrible day. I didn’t get any fares. Everyone be broke until the 3rd of da month.” George said.

“I know how it can be man.” I said.

“That, an I be nursin’ a terrible hang ova. I sho could use a forty ounce bout now.” George replied.

I dismissed this hint.

We ended up shooting the shit for a bit longer and then George saw someone else he knew walking down the street.

“Let me go see if deese mutha fuckas be needin’ a ride.” George said with a sly grin, looking over his sunglasses. He then drove off in a hurry down the street towards his next victims.

I had a big smile on my face as I nodded my head from side to side. Yep, that’s the Taxi you never saw on TV. I finished my walk on home and it was dark when I got to the house.

No comments: