Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Fear Mongering........

I rarely watch TV and I especially do not watch the network news. I get tired of the constant fear mongering I see. I turned on the television for a short bit today to see what is on PBS and did some channel surfing. I just reminded myself why I am so selective in what sources I get my news from and what I watch. If it is really important then I will hear about it through word of mouth. I saw such things like terrorists are after us and a strike is eminent as the elections approach. Too little iron in an infant’s diet can cause teenagers to be slow learners. (they love to quote and site obscure medical reports especially when it deals with children.) A shooting in some neighborhood in Atlanta takes the life of an 8 year old child due to the lack of gun safety. The list could go on and on about what I saw. I turned off the television in disgust and asked myself, "Why?", "Why do I still turn it on from time to time to watch such utter garbage?" I tend to like to digitally record a show I want to watch such as Nova and Frontline that way I can weed out the chaff so to speak.

I will leave you all with a little quote that stuck out in my mind as I was thinking of this post. It sums up my feelings today on this subject.

"Litany of Fear" in F. Herbert’s "Dune".

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

No comments: