Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Walking Etiquette…..

As I was walking this morning around 6:45, I started to catch up with this elderly gentleman. I was walking on the sidewalk out spring road and was moving at a considerable pace. He was walking much slower and taking his time enjoying the cool morning.

Here where I live it is considered rude to pass someone who is walking slower than you. This applies to supermarket aisles and sidewalks alike. I debated on whether or not to pass the guy and just say good morning. Etiquette overruled so I turned down a side street and took my chance walking through the housing projects. Luckily, no one was stirring this early in the morning.

When I was a kid, it was a test of manhood to ride your bike through the housing projects. You would peddle as fast as you could go trying not to get hit by flung rocks and debris. The black kids would all run out and start doing this. They didn’t like the white kids to ride through their “hood”. I chuckled out loud to myself this morning as this walk brought back memories. Kids can be crazy sometimes and you would do crazy things to impress the other kids in the neighborhood.

I spent the rest of the morning decorating my apartment. I wanted it to look cozy and livable not like a bachelor pad as it did before. I put nick nacks on the shelves. Put out nicer placemats and two little salt and pepper shakers. I went upstairs and got a big box of my grandmother’s framed pictures of our family and put them around. I also cleaned all my computer junk off some bookshelves and put books in them. I also vacuumed and cleaned the carpets.

Well, I need to hit the shower and get ready for PT. I will post more later when I get back. I had more to say but I am out of time.

No comments: