Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Terrorists in my backyard…….

As I sit here at the computer and write, you can see directly outside if the blinds are raised. This room is basically one big window. I see lots of interesting things as I sit here. Most notably, deer grazing in my back yard right in the city limits as if they belonged here. This happens often and they can scare the hell out of you at night too by bounding off in the woods if you step outside. I live very close to the country and it is only a few miles out spring road until you are surrounded by forests and cow pastures.

One of the things I notice the most is the huge amount of house cats that hunt and ramble about walking through the yard. They are efficient hunters. I have seen lots of animals fall prey to their stalking.

You see the cat crouch. Then it slowly slinks forward in this crouching stance and then it pounces with such speed and ferocity. Most times they come up empty but some times they hit and I see it a lot. A large of amount of local fauna is falling prey to your average house cat here. Birds and squirrels seem to be the target of choice. Both are in abundance.

I sometimes wonder about the impact of the local house cat on the bird and squirrel population here. I bet it is no small amount. I wonder if certain species are failing prey more often than others. It would be an interesting research study to do. Well, I guess I am just rambling on and need to close. I just thought this was interesting as I see it everyday.

No comments: