Thursday, May 06, 2004

Things in life can happen so fast……..

I had my dentist’s appointment today. I had the dreaded tooth pull. They extracted a broken tooth in preparation for my bridge that will go in after the gum heals. It hurt and I grabbed the seat as I winced in pain. Now, my whole mouth is numb and I can’t even feel my nose. It feels weird.

Before my appointment, I was standing outside having my “calm your nerves” cigarette. Two little old ladies can out of the office and ambled down the walk. One took a misstep and fell flat on her face. It happened faster than I could react. I ran over and asked her if I needed to call the paramedics. She said yes. She had broken her glasses and her nose and blood was going everywhere.

I ran back inside to ask for help and Dr. Jason and Dr. Shirley came running out with a wheelchair. We were afraid that she had broken her hip. We managed to get her up in the chair and get the bleeding to stop. She had a horrible scrape on her forehead and her nose was now turning blue. It turned out she was ninety two years old.

Both doctors wheeled her over to Dr. Meka’s office so he could do an x-ray and see if anything was broken. I do hope she was okay but may never find out.

It is weird in how fast it happened. One moment I was standing there smoking a cigarette and the next I was jolted into a crisis situation and had to act. Life goes that way sometimes and you never know what it can bring. Always watch where you step or you may fall.

No comments: