Wednesday, July 08, 2015

In Capable Hands…

ohnnyBlessings be to my mother and Charlie.  I am in capable hands with regards to those two. Charlie left my sodas and breakfast on the front porch this morning, and my mother brought pizza tonight.  I am so smitten right now with Johnny’s New York style pizza at the moment.  Mom purchased a large pizza with Italian sausage and pepperoni.  I ate the whole pizza in one sitting as Maggie stared at me hoping for a morsel.  I’ve also gained five pounds this week, but I’ll get back on my diet soon.

The dull throbbing I was feeling in my foot is gone.  As long as I have this cumbersome brace on, I feel no pain at all except just a little soreness when I sit still for a long time. 

We also had an embarrassing SNAFU yesterday at the pharmacy.  Dad’s co-pharmacist (now the new owner) wouldn’t fill my prescription for Oxycontin because I had a past history of substance abuse.  She said she was checking for drug interactions in the back room, while she was really calling my father on his iPhone. She blatantly lied to my mother and I.  I left the pharmacy feeling defeated more than anything.  It actually embarrassed me as well.   It was just another instance of the “feel good police” of my life in action.

5 comments:

Beth said...

I probably am sticking my nose a bit where it doesn't belong...but if you are not having a lot of pain, why even contemplate Oxy with your history? And why such a major pain killer anyway? I am a veteran of two foot surgeries and a wrist break, and never was prescribed Oxy; just a Vicodin and non-narcotic but effective meds. And those have unpleasant side effects that are not worth the temporary high, to me. This is a slippery slope, Jonathon, and you know it. Being embarrassed is not fun, I agree, but part of sobriety is saying no to such temptations because you know what they will do to your very hard-won sobriety. Be your own feel-good police.

Einstein said...

I second Beth's advice.

diana said...

I agree, oxy is an opioid and highly addictive. I had open heart surgery and was not given oxycodone. There are 81 drugs on the drug list known to have a major interaction with oxycodone. And 700 minor.
If as you say you can get around without pain I would stick to Tylenol or Advil.
Also the old frozen bag of peas is a great pain reliever and will also reduce the swelling.

Christina said...

Oxy for a broken foot? Your doctor should be arrested.

The pharmacist did the right thing.

skinny minny said...

not sure if what that pharmacist did was entirely legal what with hippa laws and all...that being said mighty powerful drug for what you were saying wasn't hurting you much. I could see vicodin maybe but oxy? wow! be careful if you choose to use any.