Monday, June 25, 2018

A Tale of Lincoln Woe…

1982 lincoln continental“Head on up there and get started and I will meet you in the store,” Charlie said over his cellphone.

I got in my shiny new chariot and headed to Kroger. It is grocery night. I was finished shopping by the time Charlie arrived.

“I was putting gas in the white truck,” Charlie told me. “Did you have to wait long?”

“I just have finished,” I replied, parked in front of the batteries so people could get by.

We checked out and I turned to push my cart and Jermaine was in front of me blocking my forward progress. He was sitting in his scooter.

“You’ll never guess what happened,” he told me. “My engine locked up in my car. It is a big old Lincoln Continental. It had all kinds of radiator problems as well.”

“I hate to hear that,” I told Jermaine sincerely – worried how he would ever afford a used car..

Charlie stepped in and told Jermaine we were in a hurry. Charlie is always in a hurry. He had Horsefly at the bowling alley he told Jermaine. Jermaine had a hundred questions about Horsefly as they had classes together in high school. Charlie didn’t have time for that and told Jermaine he hoped he got a car and that he had to get Andrew home and his groceries put up.

“I’d still be in there chatting with him if it weren’t for you,” I told Charlie.

“You just need to learn how to handle Jermaine,” Charlie replied to me with a harumpff.

So much for Southern hospitality.

1 comment:

Jane said...

I love those old Lincolns and old Cadillacs! I love the way they look!