Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Jermaine, Jermaine, Jermaine…

perfectcantaloupe_zps34477bf5I hadn’t been in Kroger last night for 10 minutes when I heard my name called by an unmistakable voice. I turned to look and it was our Jermaine sitting in his Hov-a-round scooter. He’s too big to walk around the grocery store.

“You’re not buying any melons tonight, are you?” Jermaine asked excitedly.

He was hoping he could help me bless his soul. I was stuck in some kind of weird Deja Vu as it seems we've had this discussion before.

“I was going to get the kind already cut up in the plastic containers,” I told him to placate him somewhat.

“They’ll give you salmonella and they’re never sweet,” he said to my dismay. “Let me pick you out a cantaloupe.”

I played along as we made our way to produce. Jermaine studied quite a few melons as I stood there impatiently and then he handed me one.

“That one is at it’s peak of ripeness,” he told me. “Smell it and feel the skin.”

I sniffed it and graciously told Jermaine thank you. I then quietly escaped to go get my bread and powdered donuts for this week. I noticed Jermaine got himself a melon as well. “Who got the better melon?” I caught myself thinking.

I ended up spending $74 dollars. Just a dollar short of my limit. Dad spent over $100 dollars for which I chastised him playfully.

“Mister big spender,” I told him laughing.

“You are going to benefit from it,” he replied to me huffily.

I noticed he had the fixins for vegetable beef soup and grew excited. He had some frozen vegetable soup starter, some Knox soup flavoring, and a couple of pounds of ground beef. Oh, how I would love some homemade soup and cornbread this week. If you think Campbell’s or Progresso’s soup is good, then dad’s soup would knock your socks off.

1 comment:

glittermom said...

Nothing beats homemade soup.