Sunday, June 17, 2018

You Are Looking at a New Volunteer…

Well, I drove down to the Humane Society around lunch yesterday. I’d rather meet in person than call. They were about to close for the day at noon. The director was sitting at her computer when I walked in.

“Can I help you?” she asked looking over her reading glasses as she turned to look at me.

“Yes, I was just inquiring if y’all need any volunteers,” I replied apprehensively.

“I can put you to work,” she said with a broad smile and a chuckle. “I am trying to hire someone as we speak.”

“How many days a week can you volunteer?” she then asked.

“I wanted to start out just a few days a week and add more as we go,” I replied.

“How about Monday’s and Wednesday’s?” she asked me.

“Sounds great!” I said excitedly. “I promise I won’t let you down.”

“I’ll see you Monday morning at nine then,” she told me and we said our goodbyes.

I was telling my father about it this morning hoping he would be supportive about the whole endeavor.

“You better not come home with another dog,” dad said. “You have a soft heart when it comes to animals. Dogs especially.”

I also asked my father what we are going to do about my car and Matt’s car tomorrow.

“Come over and get your mother’s car before you leave for volunteering,” he said. “Be sure to clean out your car of any belongings today and then you can leave it with me.”

It is a good thing I washed my car last week as it was filthy on the passenger’s side. It still needs a good vacuuming.   

I am going to need mom’s car as it is a long drive out to the Humane Society. I don’t know if my old car will hold up. Also, my father has lied to me for years now saying I couldn’t drive mom’s car because I wasn’t on the insurance. Suddenly, out of necessity, I can. I always wondered how Charlie could drive it for two weeks last year when his car broke down. Charlie certainly wasn’t on the insurance. Charlie put over 4000 miles on that car while he had it.

5 comments:

skinny minny said...

I am so glad that you are going to be volunteering and that you are starting out with just 2 days a week. Nothing better than playing with and hanging out with animals.

glittermom said...

Let us know how your 1st day goes. I bet Maggie will be sniffing you when you return home.

Sharyn said...

Just take it slow! How many hours was it on Mondays and Wednesdays? I am so proud of you! And, I feel, I can safely say that Miss Martha is proud of you too!

Jane said...

You're almost 50 years old Andrew.
If you want another dog you don't need your dads permission.
I know your dad means well but he needs to learn some boundaries!

Jane said...

I get that you want his approval.....