Monday, June 25, 2018

The Pitbull Dilemma…

PitbullAnimal control brought in a sweet and very young brindle female Pitbull today. I was leery at first until I got her in her kennel and she started to lick my fingers affectionately and was trying to give me kisses on my face. She was just absolutely famished and thirsty. I spent some time with her today and she seems like a sweet dog.

People seem to be deeply divided on whether or not they are dangerous dogs, though. Kevin “The Homeless Guy” Barbieux once went on a weird tangent and started a blog on how dangerous they were which brought in a lot of vehement criticism by Pitbull owners.

Recently, a local prominent lady was mauled by a Pitbull as she went on her daily walk which further substantiates the fear and danger people feel about these dogs. Owners give glowing praise about these animals in juxtaposition saying Pitbulls are safe and affectionate animals.

2016 dog bite fatality statistics

In the 13-year period of 2005 through 2017, canines killed 433 Americans. Pit bulls contributed to 66% (284) of these deaths. Combined, pit bulls and Rottweilers contributed to 76% of the total recorded deaths.

2016-dog-bite-fatality-chart

3 comments:

Jane said...

Recently we had a woman go outside to sit on her porch. She was attacked and killed by a Pit Bull. A couple summers ago we had a little girl attacked by one. It ripped her tongue out. She will be tube fed the rest of her life.
I don't like them.

Sharyn said...

Percentages don't matter when the dog is biting you. I was mauled in my eye by a German Shorthaired Pointer. My neighbor is in treatment right now for a Rottweiler bite. I have owned Pitts since the 1980's. If you spay, neuter and love; any dog can be a good dog. Unless the previous owners already ruined the poor girl.....

Rita said...

Pits can be very loving dogs.

I take care of my daughter's dog, a Rhodesian Ridgeback, almost daily. She has had health issues and takes lots of medication. We spend lots of time at a dog park. Ridgebacks are very social, both with humans and other dogs. They are not aggressive, but won't put up with aggression. In all of our time at the dog park, I have seen some fights. Almost always, the dog fights involve pit bulls, and usually one that is not neutered. The big difference between a fight with a pit bull and one not involving a pit, is that with a pit, they clamp down and won't let go.