Wednesday, June 30, 2004

A visit with family…..

I walked over to my parent’s house this morning. I was lonely and I wanted to see my father and spend some time with him. He is off from work on Wednesday. I walked up the steps and my father’s cat was there to greet me. Her name is Macy. She wanted me to pet her but petting her is Russian roulette. She will bite you for no reason. I opened the door and stepped in. My father was in the kitchen cooking.

“Your cat is evil Dad.” I told him.

He just laughed.

“My girl is not evil. She is the best pussy in the world. She is the duchess.” He replied.

As a child all our pets had royal names. Some were in parliament and others were in the royal family. He would tell us grand stories of their exploits. We would always squeal with glee as dad told us outrageous stories about our pets. Our dog, Mick, was an archduke. Bless his soul. Mom shut the garage door on him and he had to be put to sleep. I miss Mick. He was always overjoyed to see me when I came over.

Dad was cooking a roast and it smelled wonderful. My stomach grumbled as I sat at the kitchen table reading the Atlanta Constitution. I like to call it the Atlanta Constipation. It was full of depressing news as always.

“Does the news ever depress you?” I asked.

“I get tired of it. It is always about what is wrong and rarely about what is right.” He replied.

“Do you need any help with anything?” I asked.

“Set the table and put some ice in our glasses. Then go wake up Martha.” He replied.

He pulled out the roast and was carving it with an electric knife. He spooned the potatoes and carrots into a serving dish. I set the table and filled three glasses with ice. He then started to make a salad of lettuce, tomatoes, celery, and mayonnaise. He seasoned it with salt and pepper. I then walked back to the back bedroom to wake up mom.

“Hey mom, time to eat!” I said.

“Did Johnny cook?” She asked.

“Yeah, dad cooked a roast.” I replied.

My mom hopped out of the bed faster than you could say, “Jiminy Cricket!” She will not miss a meal. It is one the few things that will tug her out of bed.
We all fixed our plates and started to eat. It tasted wonderful. Mom was so lazy she didn’t even pour her glass with tea. She hurriedly ate and then went back to bad.

“Jesus!” My father said.

“What?” I asked.

“You mother is something else. She didn’t even pour her glass with tea. She ate without drinking.” He replied.

“She is lazy. It would be too much trouble.” He replied.

“Yeah, you are right. I don’t see how she can stay in the bed all day.” Dad said.

“Nether do I. I couldn’t stand it. Just laying there and doing nothing for days on end.” I replied back.

I hate us talking about my mother behind her back. She really is pitiful and I hate to see her waste her life like she does. I changed the subject quickly and then headed home.

No comments: