Friday, June 04, 2004

The dope man…….

I walked down to the piggly wiggly this morning for some buttermilk. It was a casual walk while I listened to my radio. I walked up the steps past the flea market and Fred’s and there he sat.

“Oh shit!” I thought to myself. I did not want to go through this today.

It was George. My humble, not so shy, panhandler piggly wiggly groupie who thinks I am a long lost friend.

George cried out, “Hey, hey, man, come over here for a second.”

I sheepishly walked over and we started to talk. I was trying to find a way out of this conversation.

“Me and you are brothas, right?” he asked.

“Well, George…..” I started to reply as he cut me off.

“I got something for you.” he replied and then reached in his pocket. Out came a ziplock bag tied with a twist tie that pulled it into a ball. Inside were several off white rocks. I knew exactly what it was; it was crack cocaine.

“George, I do not do dope!” I replied.

“Come on man, I will give you a good deal. I am helping a brotha out.” George said.

I was broke and didn’t have any money and the last thing I wanted to buy was crack. I had to dig up some change to get my buttermilk and some loaf bread. My wife still has my SSI check and hasn’t brought it. I am dirt poor at the moment.

“George, you son of bitch, I don’t do dope and I would appreciate it if you left me alone. I am tired of this shit and I am tired of you bothering me.” I exclaimed.

George laughed nervously and then asked me to keep this between us.

“Don’t call the police man!” he said.

“I won’t call the police but leave me the fuck alone! I am tired of this shit.” I said with a raised voice.

Maybe George will get the message and leave me alone. I am so tired of being bothered every time I go to the store. If that bastard bothers me one more time I will call the police and see how he likes it behind bars.

No comments: