Wednesday, June 30, 2004

The Fourth of July Party…..

I walked down to the Piggly Wiggly this afternoon. I wanted some fried cubed steak for supper. There are watermelons growing in a small flower bed just down below. Someone had smashed all the ones of size on the pavement. I stepped around them. I felt disgusted after seeing them grow for months. It probably was some kids I thought to myself.

As I walked up the sidewalk there sat George in his old beat up Dodge Diplomat. I tried to walk by slowly so as not to be noticed.

“Hey brotha! I need to talk to you!” George hollered as I tried to walk by. “Come here and sit in the car.”

I opened the door and sat down. I was tired and glad to have a seat. I know the game and George no longer bothers me that much. He handed me a cigar and I lit it up. It was a white owl.

“I want you at my party! You are one of my best friends!” George said as he slurred his words. George was completely shit faced. He was drunker than a skunk. I have never seen George drunk.

“I will buy a case if you buy a case.” He said. “We are going to cook hamburgers out at the lake on the fourth.”

I sat for a minute pondering this situation as I smoked my cigar.

“George you are drunker than shit man.” I said.

“I have only six beers!” He said while showing five fingers. I laughed really hard at this and he took offense.

“Listen George, you are drunk and you need to head home before you get a DUI.” I replied.

“I am not drunk. Fuck the police. I can drink you under the table.” George replied in a sentence that was almost unintelligible. He looked at me sternly with red shot eyes.

“I am throwing a party and I want you there. I want you to get a case of beer and I will bring one as well. You are my friend.” George said.

I felt bad for George. I know how it is to be fucked up. You really need someone to take care of you. Most people would stand around and gawk at a man’s poor situation.

“George, step out of the car.” I said as I got out.

“Why? Motherfucker, don’t fuck with me!” George shouted

“I thought me and you are friends.” I replied.

“You are my best friend you son of a bitch.” George said as he slurred his words. What a way to show friendship I thought to myself.

“I am driving you home. You are going to get busted.” I said firmly.

“Fuck the police. They can suck my dick!!!” George shouted.

“George, get your ass in the other seat. I am taking you home.” I shouted back.

George crawled over the front seat to the passenger side. He had popped open another beer.

“Where do you live George?” I asked as I got in on the driver’s side.

“I live with my moms over by central elementary. Just behind the school.” George replied.

Cool, I thought, that was only a thirty minute walk home.

I cranked up the car and drove George home. His car is a piece of crap I might add. I felt as if it were about to fly apart if I went over thirty miles an hour.

“It this your house?” I asked.

“Yes.” George said. He was half passed out.

I pulled up in the driveway and knocked on the door. An elderly lady came to the door.

“Are you George’s mom?” I asked.

“Yes sir, sho is.” She replied. “Whats a white boy like you doin in his car?”

“George is drunk and needs to sleep it off. I drove him home miss.” I replied.

I handed her the keys and told her to hide them and then started my long walk home.

You know, I don’t like George. He really is not my friend but I knew if I left him there then bad things would happen. He could have killed someone driving as drunk as he was. George is a shady character that I try to avoid but I had to act tonight.

No comments: