Tuesday, June 22, 2004

The Maid from Hell……..

I’ve had a good day. I walked over to my parent’s house this afternoon to check on my mother. She was watching her soap operas. How she can watch that tripe I do not know. I sat on the lazy boy and kicked my feet up. Both of their cats were wandering around aimlessly in the room. Occasionally they would get close to each other and hiss. They have lived together for years and still do not get along. They have a pecking order. I just sat for a moment and made sure mom was okay.

“Linda is driving me crazy!” mom said.

“Why? What is Linda doing?” I asked.

Linda is my parent’s maid and cook. Linda was out on the side porch sweeping it clean. I could hear her sweeping from the den.

“She will not let me sleep. She keeps telling me to get out of the bed.” Mom replied with a whisper, “She acts like a baby sitter.”

My mother can stay in bed for 24 hours straight if you let her since she retired from teaching. She has been trying to stay up in the afternoons and watch soap operas to pass the time until Linda leaves. I blame this on her Zyprexa. It is so sedating. I know in that I have tried it many times. I kind of chuckled to myself. Jeez, mom has real BIG problems I thought to myself. She lives a sheltered life. I do sympathize with her though.

The smell of baked chicken and onions filled the room. The den is next to the kitchen.

“What are you all cooking?” I asked.

“Linda is cooking me some baked chicken. She put onions in the dish. That is the smell.” Mom replied.

It smelled wonderful and made my stomach grumble.

“So do you want to go back to bed?” I asked.

“Yes, but I know I should stay up. I know you all worry about me sleeping so much.” She replied. “That and Linda will drive me crazy about getting up and doing something”

Linda is a spitfire and vocal. She lets you know what is on her mind. My father calls her the “maid from hell”. She does a good job though and they put up with her interesting character traits. She is an excellent cook and I look forward to walking over some days and eating her fare. It is a real treat not to cook and have supper warm and waiting on me. All I have to do is walk over and fix a plate.

I left after awhile and headed back to the house. I walked down to the Piggly Wiggly to grab some more Gatorades. I had an interesting conversation with “Cap with Tag” guy. That conversation will follow when I get some more time to write.

No comments: