Thursday, June 03, 2004

The camping disaster…….

It’s 2:00 AM. I am home now. I just had an interesting night and now I can’t sleep. I haven’t been up this late in I don’t know when but I am tonight. My story I wrote yesterday got me in a fishing mood. I wanted to go camp out last night and do some fishing in the evening. I packed up all my stuff in my kelty backpack and headed out early yesterday afternoon to go camping down by the Chattahoochee River. I have never camped down on the river but have fished many times.

There is a huge stretch of woods between the river and the railroad tracks. It has lots of trails interspersed through it as lots of people fish here so I tried to find an out of the way spot to camp. I found a clearing with no rocks and limbs and set out my tent. It was about a hundred yards or so from the river.

I spent several hours fishing. I caught about three hand sized bream and then cleaned them with my camping knife. I coated them in some cornmeal and fried them on a fire in my little camping frying pan that comes in my mess kit with some canola oil. My arm was tired from holding that pan over the fire. I then ate supper and cleaned up by washing my pan in a nearby creek that runs into the river.

About 7:00 PM a good thunderstorm came up so I laid in my tent on my sleeping bag reading a book and listening to the weather band on my radio. Before long I had drifted asleep to the sound of the rain and thunder.

I was awoken suddenly to the sound of noise and I could see flash lights beaming through the woods and hitting the walls of my tent. My heart raced and I looked at my watch. 12:00 midnight. Who in the hell is out in these woods this time of night I thought to myself.

I heard several persons getting closer and closer. Finally a man walked up to the side of my tent and cried out, “Police! Come out slowly and let me see your hands!”

I slowly unzipped my door and holding my hands out I slowly stepped out of the tent. I was scared shitless by this time. The police officer was standing there with a gun drawn pointed at me.

“Let me see some ID sir!” he asked.

“It’s in my back pack officer.” I replied with a tone of respect.

“Well, go grab it for me but don’t try anything stupid. I am not in the mood tonight for bullshit.” He said.

By this time several other officers had shown up and they were all standing around my tent in a circle. I was now thinking I was in some deep trouble but for what I do not know. I pulled out my ID and showed it to the officer and he ran my license over the radio. It came back clean and he laughed. Another officer searched through my tent and stuff. I asked him what was going on.
Apparently, someone had shoplifted at the local Spectrum convenience store and fled into these woods to escape the police. The police advised me that this was not a safe place to camp and to head home. Not wanting anymore trouble, I packed up all my stuff and walked the 30 minutes back home. So much for that camping trip.

No comments: