Friday, June 18, 2004

Everyone has problems…..

Alaine finally called me. She wanted me to go walk with her out at the dam. West Point Dam was built in the late sixties and formed West Point Lake. They have a park and walking trail out there by the dam.

We drove out and started walking. I could tell something was wrong. She was being really quiet. It had that awkward kind of feeling when you do not know what to say.

“What’s wrong with you?” I asked. “You don’t seem normal.”

“I have had a tough week. I don’t know what to do.” She said.

“About what?” I replied.

“About work. I am working full time and it is too much for me.” She replied. “I feel overwhelmed.”

I grabbed her hand and pulled her close. I gave her a big hug.

“Hey, it will be okay. Just talk to your boss. Things always work out.” I replied in my most sincere voice.

At this point we stopped walking and just stood there.

“I can’t do it. I can’t keep all those kids inline.” She said and she started to cry.

My heart melted and I fumbled for words. I didn’t know what to say. I had never really seen her cry. She always seemed so tough and on top of things.

“You talk to your boss on Monday and let it be known that you need less hours. You have a stressful job and you have a disability. They will understand.” I said trying to sound convincing as I wiped the tears from her eyes.

We started to walk again and she felt better. She just needed someone to talk to and she was afraid to tell this to her mother. She was afraid of being weak. We all are and I am as well.

We ended up finishing our walk and we drove back to my apartment. I fixed a quick and easy supper of some chili dogs and French fries. We sat at the table and ate and she began to loosen up and laugh. We ended up playing around on the internet. I showed her some sites I really like and she showed me some of hers. She is amazed at my computer set up. I built it all myself. She was amazed that I can capture and watch television on my computer. I showed her around.

After too long, she had to go home. I wanted her to stay but she was worried about her mom. She is frail and has a bad case of diabetes and Alaine feels she must see about her. I don’t blame her. She has a lot of responsibility that she must take care of. We said our goodbyes and hugged goodnight.

No comments: