Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Lazy summer day……

I spent a long time down at the river fishing. I caught some bream and then some catfish and put them back. I didn’t feel like cleaning any fish tonight and freezing them. I also worry about the pollution in the river from Atlanta and that can sometimes dissuade me from eating fish there.

Two older black men were down there as well near me. We struck up a conversation as one of them walked over to see what I had just caught. He offered me a bottle of Wild Irish Rose to have a drink. I declined. Cheap wine is not my thing. That stuff is downright nasty.

He had grey, curly, nappy hair and a grey beard and was wearing over-alls with a white t-shirt tucked in. His eyes looked yellow from age. He also had on big boots with the over-alls stuffed inside them. He looked like someone’s grandfather.

“What yo fishin with?” He asked.

“Red wigglers,” I replied. “I bought them down at Spectrum. The one going out towards the lake.”

“We be fishin with crickets.” He replied in a heavy southern black drawl.

His friend held up a stringer of bream to show to me. It was an impressive catch. They had both had a good day.

“Wow, you fellas have been busy. That is an impressive catch.” I sounded back.

He laughed and patted me on the back.

“What’s a white boy doin fishin here on the riva?” He asked.

I don’t fish down there often; only maybe once a week.

“Oh, I just love to fish and this is the nearest spot.” I replied.

“You walks down here or you has a car?” he asked.

“I walked. I live just up the road.” I replied.

He laughed heartily and sat down beside me and threw his line in. He turned out to be a really nice fellow and we talked for a long while. I gave him a few red wigglers when his bait had run out. He thanked me.

He had lived an interesting life and his wisdom was great. You can’t tell a man’s intelligence in the south by the way he talks. He may sound ignorant but has many a great story to tell you if you listen.

The mosquitoes were growing nasty so I had to leave and walk back home. They were driving me crazy. I bid my new friends farewell and set out to the house. It has been a good day and I am glad to be home. I think I will close the windows and turn on the air conditioner and wrap myself up in a good book while lying in my bed. Good night and be well.

No comments: