Saturday, June 05, 2004

Sleepless in Lanett……

I cannot sleep tonight. I am bored and listless. I walked outside and smoked a cigarette. I could not find the moon. Maybe it is on the horizon and out of view. I saw several fireflies blinking in the night. I also heard the far off horn of a train. It made me long to hit the rails and travel.

I thought about the fireflies for a long moment. We called them lightening bugs when I was a kid. I would spent long moments trying to catch as many as I could and put them in a mason jar. As it grew dark, the whole jar would light up with a pale green glow. I laughed aloud thinking about my recollection.

My neighbors are up as always. They never sleep. Cars come and go at all hours of the day and night. I suspect drugs but keep my suspicions to myself. I can get up at four in morning and they are still going strong. They look like college kids and very young and are renting the house next door. I see the police often and suspect that there is more than meets the eye as far as they are concerned.

My great aunt is staying over here tonight. We are soon going to divide my grandmother’s furniture and things and she wants to make sure she gets her share. It is the first time she has been here since Christmas. She was the hard to deal with sister I have spoken about way earlier in my blog. I love her but she is a pain in the ass. She had several bowls already picked out and to take home. She works fast. She also washed all my clothes and for that I am thankful.

She wanted me to call a certain black lady to come and clean the house tomorrow. I lied when I said I would. I felt uncomfortable doing such a thing. She has not worked for us since my grandmother died. I will just tell her I didn’t get an answer in the morning. The house is clean anyways and doesn’t need that expense.

I have set my alarm clock for early in the morning. I know I will have to get her coffee going and help with breakfast. I have some eggs left and some loaf bread so we will have eggs and toast with some slices of cheddar cheese. She is well up into her eighties and I feel responsible for her. She is the last of the Mayberries and that is a notable pedigree. My grandmother would want me to do as much. Her and her sister always saw about her. She has always lived a sheltered life.

I think I will now step outside and smoke a bowl from my pipe. A little Sir Walter Raleigh will do me well and maybe make me sleepy. I look forward to the robust aroma and hearty smoke. Good night and take care.

No comments: