Friday, March 26, 2010

Breakfast with Mom…

“Come and get your cokes!” mom exclaimed over the phone this morning.

“Woo Hoo!” I replied excitedly!  I was surprised she was up so early.

For years, mom put my cokes out at night and I drove over to get them very early in the morning often at 4am or 5am.  This changed a few weeks ago.  I was sleeping most of the night and mom started to put them out in the day.  I told mom to let Helen do it, but she insists on doing it herself.

Helen was cooking breakfast this morning when I arrived.

“You’re just in time to eat,” Helen told me.

Mom was putting on her makeup in the bathroom and soon walked out to greet me.  We sat and ate pancakes and sausage.  I wish mom would realize how lucky she is to have these meals.  I am lucky to get them two days in a row.  I guess I could drive over every morning and eat.  Helen would love that.  I will think about it.  I don’t want to be a bother, though.

“I am driving down to the bookstores this morning,” mom told me as we sat at the kitchen table. 

I cracked open a diet Coke from the fridge and savored it.

“I am so glad you’re just not laying in that bed,” I told her in response.

“Your father thinks I am getting on a high.  He is growing concerned.”

“Don’t you worry about him Mrs. Martha,” Helen chimed in.  “You’re doing good!”

“I want to go to an AA meeting with you some day,” mom told me.

“Today is a closed discussion meeting meaning only alcoholics can go,” I told her. “But I will look for some open discussion meetings.”

“I’ve just always wondered what went on.  You seem so much better.”

This got me excited!  I want mom and dad to take an active role in my recovery.  They usually only get involved when something is wrong.

The first thing I did this morning when I got out of bed was to start a gratitude list and to thank God for all the good things in my life.   Top of the list was Maggie.  I am so thankful for that little dog.  She slept with me all night and brought me so much comfort.  It was cold in the house last night and Maggie got as close to me as she could for heat.  She finally got under the covers and snuggled up to me.  I smiled, buried my head back into the pillow, and went sound asleep sleeping like I haven’t slept in years.   Another gratitude was for dad.  I have put him through hell over the years with my mental illness and various addictions and he has still stuck by me.  I have a home and a car because of him.  I would be homeless in Nashville if it were not for my father’s expense and efforts.  I do have so much to be thankful for these days and I hope I don’t lose sight of it all.  That would be the biggest travesty of all.  

8 comments:

Hap Joy Free said...

Andrew.....


Your attitude of gratitude is amazing!

Im so happy and proud of you. The best is yet to come!!

XOXO

Jenn said...

That's really great point you made about your parents only getting involved when something is wrong. I bet a lot of families do that.

Happyone :-) said...

You sound happy Andrew! :-) Saying thanks, a great way to start your day!

Sharyna said...

It's good that Mom is happy. You'd think Dad would be happy about that instead of suspicious! I am interested in where your quest for God will lead...

This IS The Fun Part! said...

There is nothing better than a pet. They love you no matter what! Hope she approved of whatever Helen served today. Somehow I think Helen could make a plate of rocks taste good!

Keep smiling! It's important for a happy face!

Love ya,
Grannie

Joy Heather said...

Another happy Post Andrew, i am so pleased for both you and your Mom..(i hope your Dad soon comes around instead of looking suspicious),,i'm sure he will in time..its good to read of your gratitude, and the things you thank God for.
I must do that more often myself.

Sound sleep is another bonus of feeling better, and i'm sure that is an answer to prayer also...hugs to you and Maggie.

Andrew said...

Thank you all so much for the comments! I can't respond to every one, but I do appreciate them so much!!!

justLacey said...

i think a gratitude list is very helpful. I use it at times as well.