Wednesday, March 24, 2010

County Mental Health…

Well, I just drove out to county Mental Health.  I asked about support groups and the lady babbled on about some counseling groups.   Then she handed me a card and told me to call a number.  Sigh.  I wish it could have been easy.  I’m okay talking to someone in person, but I have this deep fear of calling on the phone.  I hate the device.  Let’s hope I get up the courage today to call as I am really interested in these groups with Beth’s help and encouragement.  I fear they will be in Opelika though and that is a long drive and I only get one tank of gas every three weeks. 

6 comments:

glittermom said...

Sometimes your local hospitals have programs like that...you could try there, also ask your dr. next time your there..There has to some place that has a program that would benefit you...That woman didnt seem too helpful...

Beth said...

Good for you!!! What a big step for you to take! Use the Web to see what you can find out about a group too, although there may be little info, depending on your county's Internet abilities. There also are online groups that may help too -- AA has online meetings, and I know of at least one site about mental illness. If you want more links, I'll find 'em.

Hang in there! One baby step at a time.

Beth said...

Dual diagnosis online: http://www.mdjunction.com/dual-diagnosis

Even a Dual Recovery Anonymous! http://www.draonline.org/

And NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, also has info:
http://tinyurl.com/dww7q

I know that you, with your Internet skills, can find much more. That will help while you search for local resources -- which would also help you tremendously.

One step at a time!

Joy Heather said...

One step at a time is good advice..there is help out there...you just met the wrong person today, she maybe hadn't got the information to help you..we are all behind you i am sure.

Sharyna said...

Couldn't you rebudget your money (with Dad's help) and take some of your food money and put it toward gas instead? I think support groups would be good. I know when I had my last episode, it helped me to hear from you. You need a network...

Jamie said...

So proud of you. :)

Hugs.