Monday, March 29, 2010

Giving Thanks…

I sat down this morning at the desk in my computer room to write today’s gratitude list.  I had so many thoughts on my mind and so many things to be thankful for. Number one was yesterday.  I had a mental illness free day and they are rare.  For that, I was so thankful.  No racing of the mind.  No endless pacing of the floor to chase away my mental illness blues.  No feelings of overwhelming despair. 

This morning I am thankful for my central heating and air.  I woke up very cold and heat was just pushing a button up a few degrees much to Maggie’s chagrin.  I basked in the warmth shedding clothes.  I have to remind myself of my homeless days and those times I would be so cold I would cry.  My only recourse was to crawl into my sleeping bag with layers upon layers of clothes on to get warm. 

Another thing to be thankful for was the hot turkey and Swiss sandwich I had for breakfast.  I toasted the bread, slathered on some mayonnaise, and warmed the turkey and Swiss in my toaster oven.  It was heavenly.  A far cry from all those cans of fish steaks I ate cold when I was homeless and all the countless bowls of tepid oatmeal.

Yes, I have much to be thankful for today with my homelessness forefront on my mind this morning.  Thankful indeed!  

3 comments:

Beth said...

One of the great blessings of AA and gratitude lists is that you CAN look back at where you were and see how far you've come!

And you did that one day at a time, one step at a time.

Loved your list.

justLacey said...

Lets each make a gratitude list for each other and maybe we can keep it going daily for a while.
I am grateful we had an RT in the office today which keeps my boss busy and off our backs.

I had a co-worker friend bring me coffee from Dunkin today as a surprise. I was really touched.

I am grateful for a wonderful husband and beautiful children.

Today was an ok day at work and I am always grateful when that happens.

Last but not least, I am grateful that you are doing better and didn't let a little slip turn into a huge problem. I am especially grateful for that one;)

Tee said...

Great post! We all have so much.