Saturday, March 27, 2010

My Thoughts for the Day…

George is Sick…

“I’ve gone three days without drinking,” George told me last night on his way to work.  He had called me on his cellphone on the drive to Lagrange. “I am so sick, though.  I almost called into work.”

George had a coughing fit on the other end.  I cringed.  He sounded terrible.

“Call in sick and go to bed,” I told him, worried. 

“Did you go to a meeting tonight?” George asked ignoring my last statement.

“I went to the afternoon meeting in Lagrange,” I told him.

“I just can’t go to those meetings,” George told me much to my dismay. “I just don’t believe in all that Godspeak.”

I could only just hope and pray.  The rest is up to George. I can only lead by example.

George coughed again and sniffled. “I’ll see you in the morning.” I cringed at the thought of George coming by here sick.  If I got sick then it would work wonders on my mental illness. I have to be so careful.  George finally got off the phone and I was so worried about my friend.  He needs bed rest and some of Mrs. Florene’s tender loving care.  

Showing Interest…

Dad was very interested in what went on in AA yesterday.  He asked me all kinds of questions.  He wanted to know all about the dynamics of the program.

“And this is free?” dad asked.

“Well, you are supposed to leave a dollar donation at the end of the meeting,” I replied.  “It embarrasses me greatly that I can’t give.  It is a roadblock to me going.”

“People pay lots of money to a therapist for stuff like that,” dad said after I discussed what we talked about yesterday.

“I know,” I said proudly. “That’s the magic of the program.”

“Well, I think it is a good thing that you are going.  I support it.  I just hope you can keep it up.  You will start out strong and then your interest will wane.”

Dad was right.  It is going to be interesting to see how long I go.  I will quickly grow tired of those long drives to Lagrange.  I need all your prayers to help me keep going.  Gasoline is going to be another issue in a few days.  I have a half a tank.  Dad only buys me a tank every three weeks.  I am going to have to ask for more and it will be a source of contention.  I only pray that dad will understand my need to go and that God will provide. 

4 comments:

justLacey said...

I think if you sit down and speak with your father he will allow the extra gas. It's not like giving you cash and this is something that is helping you at the moment. You have our prayers already, all the time.

Andrew said...

Thanks Lacey,

I know things will work out for the best. I am just going to ask dad for another tank of gas in a few days and see how he reacts. He may not say anything and just fill me up. He's not good at keeping up with how much I use. I just normally never drive anywhere.

Joy Heather said...

I hope that your Dad does understand..i'm sure he must be pleased how things are working out so far..surely you are allowed money in your own right ??..dont you get anything that you are allowed from the State or anything ??..perhaps things are different in the U.S...i do hope you dont have to stop as thuis is such a good oppurtunity for you & you are doing so well so far...I am sorry George is sick & hope he gets better soon.

Andrew said...

Joy,

I have disability which is about $1000 dollars a month. This is my money, but dad insists on just putting my gas on his credit card when we go. I should have more say over how my money is spent, but dad is very, very dominant and I am submissive so it poses a dilemna. I am hoping dad will understand and allow me the extra gas. I try to tell myself where there is a will, there is a way. And I could ALWAYS find money when I was drinking. I need to appy those same principles and diligence to about going to AA and getting up the gas money.