Monday, March 29, 2010

Twitter Idiosyncrasies…

  • The #amwriting people: People who are always writing about writing, but never write anything interesting.  They always use the #amwriting hashtag and encourage you to use it too.  Write about your life. Your dog. Anything other than just writing about writing.  I want to get to know you and that is why I followed you. 
  • Link posters: People who clutter up the Twitter stream with endless links to things they think are interesting.  These links are only interesting to them.  They insistently want you to be interested as well.  Sigh.
  • The “I may win” retweeters:  People who retweet that dealsplus or other retweet to win crap hoping they will win an Apple product or other assorted junk.  It is the scourge of Twitter.  You are not going to win an Apple product I assure you and you are cluttering up the Twittersphere. 
  • The 4square twitterers:  These people think visiting the Chevron is great and they want you to know they’ve been there as well.  If you visit the gas station enough, you get to be “mayor” of Chevron.  Your first bit of legislation as mayor should be to ban tweeting about visiting Chevron!
  • Follow Friday: I don’t like this.  People tweet endless lists of people to follow.  I’ve followed them to join in on the spirit of the game and was met with a bunch of uninteresting people, people that never tweet, or Internet marketers.  Tweet the most interesting person you follow and let that be it.  I will follow and enjoy!

3 comments:

Berryvox said...

Haha, I'm guilty of the 4square tweets. I think it appeals to achievement-oriented gamers. Try to get as many points as you can in a week. I intentionally don't enter in every place I stop at though. Primarily because I don't want to clog up Twitter with how I went to the bank, tobacco shop, Blockbuster, & grocery store in one day.

It's the self-promoters I dislike. They tweet to their articles or products 4 or more times a day. I follow one woman who does that and would unfollow her but she does say interesting stuff in between.

Andrew said...

Berryvox, 4square, I think, was originally intended for people to help other people find interesting and notable places in their city or town. People bastardize it though with constant tweets about visiting Wal-Mart or SavMor. LOL

kristi said...

I hate blogs where they apologize about not blogging! Just blog or don't but stop apologizing!